Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elec Cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elec Cutout?

Been Contemplating the Elec Cutout. I have a manual, even though I dont drive my car that much, it still gets old. Anyway, I did a search and didnt find much on installation instructions. Does it come with any. I did notice on my search, that people are plugging into the switched items on the fuse panel. Can you just splice into a hot wire like Trac Control or radio or something, or do you have to run it to the fuse box in the engine bay. Also where did you run the wires through and into the car. Havent dont any wireing stuff on the car yet so I had some questions. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

i would like to know the same
Old 11-26-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they come with instructions. For power they recommend a "switched" power source, wired mine to the radio fuse - pink wire off the ASR/TCS works too. To get the wires into the car I used the grommet under the passenger rear seat.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the cigarette lighter. Easy easy easy install.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks For the info guys.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy an electric cutout. just bite the bullet and take off the plate using the three wingnuts. Its fairly easy. electric cutouts don't have a full 3" outlet and the motors burn up.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I went to the cigarette lighter. Easy easy easy install.
So did I.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:42 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01sscam
Don't buy an electric cutout. just bite the bullet and take off the plate using the three wingnuts. Its fairly easy. electric cutouts don't have a full 3" outlet and the motors burn up.
When the cutout is open, you have a 2.8" hole (of whatever you want to call it) along with the OTHER route that the exhaust gas would normally take.

I wouldn't trade my electric cutout for the world.

Anyway, I have my switch mounted on my driver seat control panel and have pulling power off of the power seat wires under the seat. There's an orange and a black wire with a plug. Simply unplug the harness, then splice in your power and ground (orange is hot), then plug it back in. Make sure you do this on the non-hot side of the harness so you don't have to disconnect the battery.

That circuit has plenty of current capacity due to the electric motor in the seat, and you probably won't be running the cutout at the same time as the seat. It's not a switched 12v source, but I like being able to open/close it without turning the key on. It doesn't draw any power either, considering I removed the LED indicator light.

BTW - It's a McCord unit and works awesome.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

BTW - It's a McCord unit and works awesome.
Good job Casey....Way to nutswing.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

orangeapeel,

You wired yours to the Cigarette lighter. Mike @ DMH suggested this same location for me, but is this actually a fuse located in the fuse box or did you wire it directly to the cig lighter? I haven't ever really done any wiring myself, but this seems like a pretty straight forward install, just trying to make sure I have all my questions answered before I just go in.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Actually it was an easy install. I purchased mine new from one of the members here and it came with no instructions. I used the cigarret lighter myself also, its fun man. Loud in the day and quiet at night (dont want to wake the whole neighborhood up hahaha)
Old 11-30-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was debating on manual or electric when I bought my cutout and with my car being lowered as much as it is (almost 2.5"), it would require a lot of work to take it on and off.

I went w/ the McCord myself. There is a grommet under the passenger seat bottom that is about 4" from the spot where pretty much everyone mounts the cutout. It is a rise in the bottom of the body of the car and the cutout tucks up real nicely in there. I ran the wires up there under the console and next to the TCS switch. I used the pink wire for switched 12v source, and grounded it to the body of the car. Worked like a charm and has been working great for 6-8 months now. Of course I almost always leave it open.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by L33Z71
orangeapeel,

You wired yours to the Cigarette lighter. Mike @ DMH suggested this same location for me, but is this actually a fuse located in the fuse box or did you wire it directly to the cig lighter? I haven't ever really done any wiring myself, but this seems like a pretty straight forward install, just trying to make sure I have all my questions answered before I just go in.
straight in. I literally pulled the shift boot up and spliced in.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
SSU, come over and relax

i wish my cutout was an electric now

it is staying closed for a while now....i hate having to crawl under it to open/close it since im in college and dont have anyway to get the car in the air
Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

I bought my e-cutout from DMH and picked it up since his shop is close to home. Very nice guy! We chatted for at least an hour. I spliced mine into the power wires for the cig lighter like most people, took hardly any time at all.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

I have one for sale if anyone is interested send me a PM.
Completely rebuilt with a new motor/gear unit.