Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header/y-pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header/y-pipe question

Ok Ok typical header topic i know, but what i really was wondering was where do you find y pipes that ARE emissions legal? meaning all O2 sensor hookups. Also can i just run an ORY w my headers or will i get an ses light? im getting headers real soon and was curious oh and one more thing how hard is the do-it-yourself header install? Thanx Duece
Old 12-01-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Texas speed has coated pacesetters with a catted Y for 700 bucks. Its about as leagal as you will get. I will warn you however. There is no such thing as legal LT's becasue it is not legal to move the cats more than 6 inches. However you shouldent really have an issue. When i get the money im getting the catted y from texas speed. http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=181&catid=8 hope that helps man

Walt
Old 12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Im with him. The closest thing you would get is a catted y pipe. Even then it will fail a visual inspection. And an ORY will throw off codes for the rear o2's but you dont need the back ones, and it can be tuned out.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^ yep^^^^^^^
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

As far as how hard is an install? I just completed my QTP install and it took me about 35 hours with a buddy helping most of the time. However, I also did motor mounts, which is recommended. Just header would be no problem (20 hours?). Motor mounts were a PITA. Make sure you have the tools also. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends on your plan for the car as well.
If you want something made VERY well that will last and give you some of the best gains possible then try American Racing Headers
I've had Kooks in the past, yes they were very nice...I just picked up a set of ARH headers for the new car and I was amazed at the quality and craftsmanship in them. Nick @ ARH has been great to deal with and is a very knowledgeable down to earth and talkative guy. His customer service alone just adds to an awesome product!

You can check them out here

If you want, you can PM me as well for direct contact info for them