Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an electric water pump really better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an electric water pump really better?

Is an electric water pump really better?

Pros:
More peak HP
One less accessory on the belt

Cons:
Cost more
Doesn't last as long

?
I expect an electric pump is less efficient. A mechanical pump takes mechanical energy from the engine and translates it into mechanical energy for the pump. An electric pump has to convert the mechanical engine energy into electricity through the alternator, then back to mechanical energy in the pump's motor. If the alternator and the pump are both 90% efficient, you lose about 19% of your energy. Does anyone have any numbers on this? I expect this makes your car less fuel efficient at cruise.

I believe electric pumps have a constant speed whereas mechanical ones are perportionate to your engine rpm. This is why electric gives you better peak HP, because it is doing the same amount of pumping as at cruise. Is this enough pumping? Would it be better to pump more at WOT, since your engine is producing more heat?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Unless you plan on frequent racing the answer is NO!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read that the EWP pumps the same as a stocker at 4500rpms.

For all you know, the pump inside an EWP may be much more efficient than the pump inside a stocker. I know that an EWP has shown 7-10rwhp gains, and I know how big a 7-10hp electric motor is, and it's DEFINATLY a ****-load bigger than the tiny one on a Meziere EWP. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've also read on here that ewps last quite a long time, longer than most expect anyway.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll end up getting one over the next year simply due to its ability to cool the motor better when you are idling and cruising. I'm tired of watching my ECT go up through the roof when sitting in summer-time traffic. It has an impact on your tune as well. Tuning my car like I do mine (speed density, open loop), you need pretty much all elements to be as consistent as possible. That includes the coolant temps.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

electric water pumps belong on cars with no belts

stupid spending of several hundred dollars

Quick Reply: Is an electric water pump really better?