Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is hooker better quality then pacesetter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is hooker better quality then pacesetter?

just as the title asks. i need new headers, had flowtechs and blew a hole in primary 1. I know Holly owns both Hooker and Flowtech but didnt know if Hooker had a stronger coating or better built then the Pacesetters, if they are about the same ill go Pacesetters. Iv heard people say their pacesetters are rusting after only a short time, could this be from not curing the headers properly once on the car?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

I know the hookers have thicker flangers then the flowtechs, not sure about the material though, Pacesetters here with no complants
Old 12-11-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what will your wallet tell you?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both hooker and pacesetters are 400. Do the pacesetters have a 3 bolt flange on the collector like Flowtechs do. Im gonna reuse my Y-pipe so if they dont have the flange ill look into hooker more.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran hookers and there off road y on my old ls1. i was more than happy. it was good quality and fit. but this time ill be going with pacesetters just because of the price.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

I have hookers and have installed a couple sets of each. Between the two, I would go with the pacesetters. Not much of a difference that I can tell.
As far as the flange at the collector; both are slip ons. No flange at all.

Oh, and my hooker ceramic coating lasted pretty well when I kept the car in the garage. It spent part of last winter outside and didn't fair too well. My uncle has the same hookers with ceramic coating and it is always garage kept. Rust all over the primarys right before the collector just like mine.

I'm going Kooks next round FWIW.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Having now installed all of your options, I would say Pacesetters are the best you have on your menu. Hookers and Flowtechs (being the same basic design) are a little bit more of a pain to install. Our Pacesetters, and the others I have installed are a cake to install and our car is a daily driver with the coating and only slight orange surface dusting which is normal with over a year on the road in all conditions...
Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with Jet Hots and have no complaints. If I did it again, I would go with coated Pacesetters and save a few bucks. I don't give a **** what they look like under the car, as long as they perform their function.

Like staringback05 said, what does your wallet tell you? I'm sure if price weren't an option, we would all go with Kooks.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

crap so both have slip fit collectors. That means im gonna have to get a Y-pipe for them if I go with either over the flowtechs. how much would it cost to modify my Y-pipe to fit a slip fit collector? Guess im stuck with the flowtechs, god this couldnt have come at a worse time im so broke.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDB
crap so both have slip fit collectors. That means im gonna have to get a Y-pipe for them if I go with either over the flowtechs. how much would it cost to modify my Y-pipe to fit a slip fit collector? Guess im stuck with the flowtechs, god this couldnt have come at a worse time im so broke.
Actually I misread that... The collectors I have seen have all been welded to the primaries... I have not seen in person Flowtech, Hooker, or Pacesetters with slipfit collectors.

While all of them I have installed had slip fit connections to the y-pipe. You can have an exhaust shop weld on flanges for about ~$20...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had both. There are 4 different kinds of headers:

1. Shorties :
2. Coated longtubes
3. Stainless longtubes
4. Painted longtubes &
Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
I have not seen in person Flowtech, Hooker, or Pacesetters with slipfit collectors....
I'm the opposite. All the ones that I have seen were slipfit collecters.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I'm the opposite. All the ones that I have seen were slipfit collecters.
Just for clarification: slip fit collectors or slip fit y-pipe?

These are the Dynatechs with the slip fit collectors: (see how the primaries slip into the collectors then the y-pipe slips over the collector)

Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
...with cheese.

I've also had experience with both. I had non-coated pacesetters blow an EGR tube off the primary. I've had 2 sets of coated pacesetters, no fitment issues, thick flanges no complaints. Hookers no complaints either. I'd get whichever stick you like better that's going to come with them. Also plan on getting GM MLS header gaskets too. The paper they come with is garbage.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im talking about where the Y pipe joins the collector. My flowtechs had a 3 bolt flange that spun on the collector and the tip of the collector was flared so it couldnt come off and bolted to the Y pipe. The collectors were welded on to. I just dont want to have to moddify my Y-pipe since it has 3 bolt flanges.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If anyone is wandering why I need new headers well Her ya go:

Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now....why wouldn't something like that be covered under warranty? Wouldn't that be a manufacturing defect?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They were on the car when I got it and im pretty sure I caught the tube taking it off to install my poly mounts. Doubt I could get it replaced under a warrenty.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Now....why wouldn't something like that be covered under warranty? Wouldn't that be a manufacturing defect?
HELL NO thats flowtech 4 ya
Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Azrael
Having now installed all of your options, I would say Pacesetters are the best you have on your menu. Hookers and Flowtechs (being the same basic design) are a little bit more of a pain to install. Our Pacesetters, and the others I have installed are a cake to install and our car is a daily driver with the coating and only slight orange surface dusting which is normal with over a year on the road in all conditions...
Dude are you crazy ? Flowtech and Hooker are nothing alike! Pacesetter, Hooker, Jet hot are all the exact same Header made by Hooker. Flowtech is also made by Hooker, but you can see the lower grade on them. The way there made and how they fit. I have a set of Hookers on my car and they are just about the easiest headers you can install, not to mention the fit is perfect. The same goes for Jet hot & Pacesetter. Look at a picture of these 4 headers and then you will see what I'm saying.