Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! messed up something! (alternator?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NEED HELP! messed up something! (alternator?)

well basically i was finishing up today with my head/intake install, and somehow i managed to slip out the fuel rail UNDER the wiring harness that has all the sensors over the driver side valve cover (connects to fuel rail see pic), and when i was untangling it i managed to snap this little red wire off the alternator (im assuming).. im guessing i need to take off the alternator? and then do what? i have no idea how to fix this? any help would be appreciated! im hoping i can fix this **** up so tommorow i can start this car up! its been down a week now heres the pics:

you can see the wiring harness to the right of the fuel lines, imagine the wiring harness under the fuel lines
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Junkie

ttt! thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it broken off the connector, or just the wire got cut in half? kinda hard to see... If the wire is just broken, just solder it back up. If it broke off at the connector, i dunno where you can get a new one. Dealership?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same thing happen to me. That's the "exciter wire". My tiny red wire was ripped from the connector. I removed the connector from the alternator, pulled the guts out of it, re-crimped the wire into the connector, then slid it back through. The piece isn't as tightly held as normal, considering I had to drill the weatherpack out to get the metal clip back through, but it's been on there for over 2 years.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

lol ^ did the same thing.. my internet was down ALL day and i just used an "educated" guess and plugged the wire back in.