Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals and ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals and ground clearance

Here is my dilemma, I'm currently running stock manifolds, stock Y, and a LM. I would love to throw on a set of long tubes with a TD setup, but I am going to slam my car. Yeah, thats right I'm slamming the car. For those of you that don't understand "slam" I am going to redo my suspension with Air Ride. Though I won't be driving with it a quarter of an inch off of the road, when I go to let the air out of the bags I'd love to know what I'm going to hit, and how bad I'm going to hit. From the pictures that I've seen under the cars the TD setup is probably not the way to go. What would you guys suggest?

Now as for flaming me about bagging my car, I've been into the mini truck scene for a while and wanted so bad to bag my '95 hardtop. Since I'm now getting rid of that car I have the SS left to do with this vision that it will turn out quite well. Its just that no one can offer me the information of wether or not I'm going to scrape the hell out of the exhaust when I drop the car to park.

[/ramble]

Anyone think I can still get the ground clearance I need out of duals or is there a different setup that someone recommends for better clearance?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep it all stock , gut the cats and put in 2 electric cutouts.

I have True Duals and I have good clearance but I think they would drag on **** at 2+'' drop .

stock ride height

Old 12-17-2006, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

True duals, whether they're dumped or ran out back, usually don't go well when you're lowered. If you're set on really slamming the car, do what cws T/A said, or something similar.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

The part that's going to hang lowest is by the driver y area. If you can get an exhaust shop to tuck it up real nice, you might be able to get by. It's going to be a lot of work and a pain in the *** though because it will have to be truly custom and done by someone who really knows what they are doing and knows these cars. It might not be worth it...thing is, with headers and a ypipe you are going to have the exact same problem.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Well I would like to free up the flow a bit, how about Mac Mids with an ORY.. I havn't been able to find any underbody pictures of those. I was just a little angry when I saw that underneath the car the stock Y pipe is so skinny. So I'd like to pull whatever I can out of it as far as performance goes with maintaining the clearance to sit the car on the ground w/o bending my headers/Y pipe/whatever else I'd fab up underneath there.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Launching!

I wish people would actually read the posts and think before responding...

True duals on Airride is an excellent combination. Have the duals custom fabricated with clearance in mind, and stick with 2.5" piping. Run an X-pipe and take it over the axle. You may want to consider a body kit, mainly side skirts; The reason being that even with exceptional fitment, the piping will be about 2" below the bottom of the stock panelling, and since you're coming from the truck scene, I'm guessing you want to drop it to the ground at shows, cruise-ins, and well, everywhere you park. The beauty of Air ride is that you can preset the limits to make sure you don't ever go too low, and then at driving height, you have amazing handling, without worry of speed bumps, etc. I drove a 98 Z with Air ride, and it was awesome, he had duals run out through square pipe side-pipes, and the combination was perfect. Good luck and post pictures when it's done!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Yes, finally someone that understands where I'm coming from. I was mainly concerned with what will hit the ground first if I lay the car out. I don't want to have to worry if something happens and I blow a bag and then bend the **** out of my manifolds. That would cause a lot more issues that I wouldn't want to deal with. I already stumbled across one of the rksport kits and I got it dirt cheap brand new, so concealing shouldn't be a problem. I guess I should lay the car out first and then see what I have to work with being that no one on here either replies with something to benefit or actually reads what I'm trying to ask.

Thanks for your reply DRSITES hope to talk to you more.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, finally someone that understands where I'm coming from
You have true duals already.. ? understand
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

No I don't have them already, if I did I wouldn't be asking the question because I'd be either dealing with a problem or I'd be happy that it all fit.