Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people are....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How many people are....

actually running this intake??

Weiand Lingenfelter

I have researched about every thread that I could dig up on it & only got the same ol' mixed reviews. The reason I'm askin is I'm buying one & want to hear from people currently running it.

I have heard everything from it doesn't even flow as good as a stock LS1, to it out flows a LS6. I don't want to hear about heat soak, thats like beating a dead horse. I know they have been prone to leaks, but I have discovered a way to eliminate that problem through all my research.

I really only want to hear from actual owners of this intake & their experiences. I know its a 50/50 some love it, some hate it kinda part. Any dyno sheets would be very helpful. I have already seen flowcharts, so none of those are needed.

Thankx in advance for any info.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you have a proven performer like the LS6 intake why do you want to go with something with a shall we say less than positive back ground..with a cam as small as the one you are going to be running you can't beat a LS6 intake..they are generally good for 12-17 hp depending on the car..JRP has a stickie on it I beleive and a dyno sheet on its performance after the install..you can usually find one for areound 300 bucks in the 4 sale section..
Old 12-21-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heatsoak is a myth in my book.......the air is traveling so fast through the tb & intake IMO to even matter......most cars run aluminum intake manifolds.....how could all those cars be wrong??? I've seen nice gains from peeps dyno/track #'s that are right with the composite type LS6 manifold.....Plastic after a while gets cracks and leaks from the heat....aluminum is better IMO
Read this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ntake+manifold
BTW, I have a BBK intake but haven't installed it yet....but have seen enough proof that u will get about 10hp/15tq out of either weiand or bbk

Last edited by miamifan3413; 12-21-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its the same thing as an LS6 intake in my book. Yes it gets hot as F*%#! But its better than an LS1 intake. Its your money get what you like. If it was a perfect world everyone would have the same max effort set up and it wouldent be any fun.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I wanted something a little different & got this for the same price as a LS6 manifold. All the tests I found put it right on par with the LS6, but lots of people disagree. I have talked with Josh(fully polished motor) & he absolutely loves his. Also the owner of the one I'm getting never had a issue with it at all.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Yea, I wanted something a little different & got this for the same price as a LS6 manifold. All the tests I found put it right on par with the LS6, but lots of people disagree. I have talked with Josh(fully polished motor) & he absolutely loves his. Also the owner of the one I'm getting never had a issue with it at all.

I know Josh very well..he likes anything that is shinny or could be shinny... ..I have been hot roddin for over 40 years and so far shinny dont make it go faster dude..I have 126,000+ miles on my LS6 intake and have not seen any cracks appear yet.. .. if we were all the same it would be a dull world..good luck with your intake...just a FYI for the guy that doesn't beleive in heat sink .... GM has a pretty large budget when it comes to powertrain development as in the LSx series V8 engines..if they thought that a metal intake was better they would have used one...heat sink is real and does make a difference ... science and engineering produce improvments in everything we use ... just because you do not beleive in it does not mean it is not true... it is proven scientific fact... ..oh by the way I have ocean front property in Kansas if you are in the market....
Old 12-21-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I know Josh very well..he likes anything that is shinny or could be shinny... ..I have been hot roddin for over 40 years and so far shinny dont make it go faster dude..I have 126,000+ miles on my LS6 intake and have not seen any cracks appear yet.. .. if we were all the same it would be a dull world..good luck with your intake...just a FYI for the guy that doesn't beleive in heat sink .... GM has a pretty large budget when it comes to powertrain development as in the LSx series V8 engines..if they thought that a metal intake was better they would have used one...heat sink is real and does make a difference ... science and engineering produce improvments in everything we use ... just because you do not beleive in it does not mean it is not true... it is proven scientific fact... ..oh by the way I have ocean front property in Kansas if you are in the market....
Just because the intake hasn't cracked on u doesn't mean they don't crack period I have seen plenty of these composite intakes crack & get brittle....GM does have a large budget but they are also in business to make $$$$.....aluminum costs a hell of alot more than plastic It's a proven fact that aluminum will outlast plastic under heated conditions Thank for the offer "Dorthy" but im not interested

Last edited by miamifan3413; 12-21-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
Just because the intake hasn't cracked on u doesn't mean they don't crack period I have seen plenty of these composite intakes crack & get brittle....GM does have a large budget but they are also in business to make $$$$.....aluminum costs a hell of alot more than plastic It's a proven fact that aluminum will outlast plastic under heated conditions

I work at a large Chevy dealer and we have not been replacing any "cracked" or leaking intakes..they might be cracking on your phantasy island but not here on the mainland of reality..beleive me the composit intake was not used for it cost compared to metal..it was used for it performance properties..I can suggest some reading material for you concerning the development of the LS series engine..then you should understand what I am telling you and I'll even help you with the big words that you don't understand ...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

I work at a large Chevy dealer and we have not been replacing any "cracked" or leaking intakes..they might be cracking on your phantasy island but not here on the mainland of reality..beleive me the composit intake was not used for it cost compared to metal..it was used for it performance properties..I can suggest some reading material for you concerning the development of the LS series engine..then you should understand what I am telling you and I'll even help you with the big words that you don't understand ...
Look, no need to put someone down that has their own opinion that isn't in line with yours......i'm not trying to start a war here just express what I have learned & experienced myself....LS6 & Aluminum LS6 put up equal #'s so get what u want....U working at GM explains why u are defending them & that's understandable, however u can't tell me that they aren't trying to be cost efficient with their efforts.....ALL CORPS do these things, HELLO
Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
Look, no need to put someone down that has their own opinion that isn't in line with yours......i'm not trying to start a war here just express what I have learned & experienced myself....LS6 & Aluminum LS6 put up equal #'s so get what u want....U working at GM explains why u are defending them & that's understandable, however u can't tell me that they aren't trying to be cost efficient with their efforts.....ALL CORPS do these things, HELLO

Dude I am at work today and completely bored out of my mind..relax I am just phuchin with ya...I dont have to defend GM if we were getting lots of "cracked" intakes through here or there were a lot of them in GMs sysem I'd tell ya about it..and on top of that there would be a service bullitin out on it....they are just not cracking sir...that is what is happening...I've had mine on and off many times and I'm still using 6 year old gaskets and they are not leaking either...the composit intakes are pretty much bullit proof..the LS series engine platform was developed to be the corporate V8 for many years to come and be used in many different applications..(4.8 liter -7 liter and many in between) the first application was in the Corvette..a high performance car..the orginal R&D work was geared to high performance..all the other applications are easy when you have the high output development solved..there is a cost factor in developing anything that is one reason why it is a pushrod configuration instead of DOHC 4 vavle per cylinder...but the composit intake accomplishes a number of things lower cost of production, its anti heat sink properties aid performance, and its reliability and longevity build the confidence of GM customers in the product.....FYI for ya..there was a recall on the 2001 LS6 intakes...not for cracking..some of them whistled..we replaced some whether they wistled or not..if a 2001 Z06 came in for anything we replaced the intake..GM paid the bill..the one on my car was a recall take off...it does not whistle but it did bump my HP 15 HP over the LS1 intake that came on the car... ..just one of the bennies of working in a dealership..there is a ton of writen material out on the R&D of the LS series engine platform..I know because I have read most of it..anyway this has become time consuming and now starting to become boring plus I am tired of typing..Oh boy!!! NEWS FLASH!!..a vendor just brought free cookies..feeding time.. .. happy holidays to you and yours..if we were all the same it would be a dull world..I like composits and you like aluminum to each his own..peace
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Dude I am at work today and completely bored out of my mind..relax I am just phuchin with ya...I dont have to defend GM if we were getting lots of "cracked" intakes through here or there were a lot of them in GMs sysem I'd tell ya about it..and on top of that there would be a service bullitin out on it....they are just not cracking sir...that is what is happening...I've had mine on and off many times and I'm still using 6 year old gaskets and they are not leaking either...the composit intakes are pretty much bullit proof..the LS series engine platform was developed to be the corporate V8 for many years to come and be used in many different applications..(4.8 liter -7 liter and many in between) the first application was in the Corvette..a high performance car..the orginal R&D work was geared to high performance..all the other applications are easy when you have the high output development solved..there is a cost factor in developing anything that is one reason why it is a pushrod configuration instead of DOHC 4 vavle per cylinder...but the composit intake accomplishes a number of things lower cost of production, its anti heat sink properties aid performance, and its reliability and longevity build the confidence of GM customers in the product.....FYI for ya..there was a recall on the 2001 LS6 intakes...not for cracking..some of them whistled..we replaced some whether they wistled or not..if a 2001 Z06 came in for anything we replaced the intake..GM paid the bill..the one on my car was a recall take off...it does not whistle but it did bump my HP 15 HP over the LS1 intake that came on the car... ..just one of the bennies of working in a dealership..there is a ton of writen material out on the R&D of the LS series engine platform..I know because I have read most of it..anyway this has become time consuming and now starting to become boring plus I am tired of typing..Oh boy!!! NEWS FLASH!!..a vendor just brought free cookies..feeding time.. .. happy holidays to you and yours..if we were all the same it would be a dull world..I like composits and you like aluminum to each his own..peace
Dude, absolutely no "big" deal at all.....See I've been on the "opposite" end of things....I've seen 4 different crack issue's with the composite type intakes.....My father worked on em and did the smoke check on em because they were having idle issue's....I saw tiny cracks were the smoke was coming out of em.....that's why I feel they way I feel about em....but to each their own I DO respect ur opinion & that's why I came off the way I did because I felt that u didn't respect mine by trying to say, in other words, that I'm an idiot just posting crap.....everything that I post is from experience myself FWIW
Old 12-21-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are litterally millions of the composit intakes out there on numerous GM (trucks, SUVs, and cars) vehicles..we have a large service dept..highest rated in the southeast by GM..and we see no problems with intakes on LS series engines. gotta go more free sood is here..
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

There are litterally millions of the composit intakes out there on numerous GM (trucks, SUVs, and cars) vehicles..we have a large service dept..highest rated in the southeast by GM..and we see no problems with intakes on LS series engines. gotta go more free sood is here..
Well, all I can really say is maybe it's a florida thing...who knows