Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine After Changing Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whine After Changing Serpentine Belt

This isn't on my car, but a friend's, and he asked me to post up about it... lol

He changed his belts out today on his CE T/A and now he's got a whine that he describes as coming from the TB/Intake area. I suggested checking out the seals on all the induction stuff (lid, etc.), but he wonders if there might be something else that could be causing it. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to make sure the belt is the correct length and is not too tight or too loose. Something to check is the tensioner. Those can make noise and it sprayed mine with silicon spray. The intake tract would be more of a whistling sound if it were leaking.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah he might want to check and make sure it is the right belt # by doing a search on here . Maybe the belt is not lined right or as before mentioned the belt tensioner . The stock belt tensioner is known to suck and slip when under load . A number of sponsors sale a replacement .Katech makes a real goog replacement and will correct this .
Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Is it a Goodyear Gatorback belt? I've had two of them on my Silverado and they both liked to whine from about 1,500-3,000rpm. Sounds like the truck has a friggan blower.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny thing is I was going to ask if it was a gatorback but some folks I know are running them without issue . I bought one and it was winning enough to notice it may of been a design problem or bad batch or something .
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a whine after I installed my Gatorback and it was for sure the belt because I put a spare non-gatorback belt on as a test and he whining went away.