Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid & what filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP lid & what filter?

I wanna get a new CAI here pretty soon and I've been looking at SLP's lid. Is that a good one for WS6s? What filter, K&N?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have SLP + KN Filter....mine fits tight..some people's don't...also some people don't like KN or other reusables..........just Do Not oil the filter very much as the oil tends to get on the wires in your MAF sensor.I have had this setup for 6 years and NO PROBLEMS......alot say the KN lets in too much grit and grime and dust...I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles anyway....
Old 12-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Has Unresolved Sales

a lid is a lid. and filter.... k&n or wix... I got a whisper lid on mine... fits great
Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Fram paper filter for the win! K & N filters gain absolutely no horsepower, + paper filters filter better
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is it that everyone says that fram is better than the K&N, and that it filters better?

BTW i use K&N, when i clean mine i do it at night, so when you re oil it, it sits at least a good 12+ hours.. that way no oile gets on the MAF.

i am going to stick with the K&N, besides i got it new for free
Old 12-24-2006, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help, happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

because paper does filter better....k & n have low restriction, therefore they let more **** into the engine
Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
because paper does filter better....k & n have low restriction, therefore they let more **** into the engine

not to play devils advocate, but can you prove that a paper filter is better, and that a K&N lets in more ****?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, do some searches on this site and see how many people have had problems with k & n filters vs. paper filter.....the only advantage of having a k & n filter is that it can be cleaned and re-used, unlike paper filters
Old 12-24-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Yeah, do some searches on this site and see how many people have had problems with k & n filters vs. paper filter.....the only advantage of having a k & n filter is that it can be cleaned and re-used, unlike paper filters

ok i was just curious. I have never had a problem with my K&N
Old 12-24-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have been a "parts pro" at kragen auto for a while now, and i have been through seminars for many different products as part of my job requirements. we have a demonstration air lid which compares the 2 filters. there is a fan pulling air from behind the filter. on the other side is a ping pong ball in a tube. the fram will only let in enough air to get the ball half way up. the K&N gets it to the top. K&N is a higher-flowing filter than fram. BUT these filters are a give and take situation. yes, more horsepower is gained, and it does let higher micron sized particles in. if you drive on a dirt road everyday, id probably go with a fram, but for regular street driving, it is not a big enough difference to cause any ill-effects. i have a K&N with an MTI lid and it works great. and btw the oil is to help capture more particles while still maintaining breathability. just dont use too much.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

Ive laways used K&N, no issues. If someone decided to dyno test all the different filters to see if there is a hp diff, that would be cool.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Use whatever filter you like. The SLP lid works well for me, fits well. I would buy a clear one if I bought another, their pretty cool.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
not to play devils advocate, but can you prove that a paper filter is better, and that a K&N lets in more ****?
I use the FRAM paper air filter with my SLP lid. If you do enough research on this topic, then you will see a post where someone ran back to back quarter mile runs with a k&N type filter and the FRAM air filter on the same day. There was no difference in performance whatsoever. Also, I went with the paper air filter, because who in the world wants to go through the hassle of cleaning their air filter?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Me freind and I that is a GM tech came to the conclusion that the whole K&N caused a maf to fail is because people spay tons of oil on the filter and just throw it in the airbox. He has seen lots failed mafs that were caused by K&N oil. He said he will run the code and discover that the maf is failed, pop the hood and 9/10 times there will be a K&N sticker on the airbox and tons of oil to the point were its almost dripping off the filter. Anyways, i've run K&N for 10 years, just oil the filter till its red then let its dry in the sun for a few hours. As far as K&N letting more dust or whatever inside the engine, show me the proof. I've pulled my K&N filter from a summer of outside work in my truck and its was dusty and dirty as hell on the outside but the inside was perfectly clean. That tells me that filter did its job.

Last edited by RacerScott; 12-25-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I use the FRAM paper air filter with my SLP lid. If you do enough research on this topic, then you will see a post where someone ran back to back quarter mile runs with a k&N type filter and the FRAM air filter on the same day. There was no difference in performance whatsoever. Also, I went with the paper air filter, because who in the world wants to go through the hassle of cleaning their air filter?
I ran both K&N and Fram back to back on the dyno and there was negligible difference. Don't buy a filter for HP, buy it for your maintenance style. Some people, myself included, prefer the ease of simple replacement. Others like the reusable aspect. I will say that the Frams fit my lid better and kept my intake tract cleaner, so I ended up giving away my K&N for free...
Old 12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RacerScott
Me freind and I that is a GM tech came to the conclusion that the whole K&N caused a maf to fail is because people spay tons of oil on the filter and just throw it in the airbox. He has seen lots failed mafs that were caused by K&N oil. He said he will run the code and discover that the maf is failed, pop the hood and 9/10 times there will be a K&N sticker on the airbox and tons of oil to the point were its almost dripping off the filter. Anyways, i've run K&N for 10 years, just oil the filter till its red then let its dry in the sun for a few hours. As far as K&N letting more dust or whatever inside the engine, show me the proof. I've pulled my K&N filter from a summer of outside work in my truck and its was dusty and dirty as hell on the outside but the inside was perfectly clean. That tells me that filter did its job.
when i re oil my K&N, i let it sit over night for 12+ hours.. that way there is not oil to fly off
Old 12-25-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

hehe, I buy a new K&N or similar filter every 6-10,000 miles. When it comes to protecting the engine I'd rather not mess around. My Volant filter I'd swap every time it looked bad, because re-oiling it didn't help it really look better. Now that I have a lid back on for HP reasons I will stick to the Holley or K&N. If I drove it every day I would go with paper.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by RacerScott
If you want the proof, do an oil analysis...do one oil change interval with the K&N, and another with the paper filter. I'm almost positive you'll see a higher silicon content in the oil where the K&N air filter was used (which means more **** got by the filter). Do some reading on the Bobistheoilguy.com forums, and you'll see the same general theme.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Launching!

A K&N was in my car when I bought it, however it was very dirty and looked very old. I installed an OEM AC Delco filter from Pontiac and will stay with stock. To me the paper filters looks to filter better, and as long as it makes me happy, and does its job to filter out harmful particles, that is what I want. If it loses a pony or 2, so be it.

Quick Reply: SLP lid & what filter?