Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers in CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tube headers in CA

are long tube headers here in ca illegal? i dont understand why it would cause it to fail the snif test but will an inspector fail it just for being on the car? i just bought some long tube headers and they arent installed yet but right after i bought them i heard soemone say long tubes might be illegal in ca and it doesnt make sense to me. If they re illegal then why? can i just take them somewhere cool that will pass it for me or will it fail the comuter diagnostics part? they have all sensors an everything else so i dont see the problem
Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

prolly are, just find someone crooked to pass you. it isnt hard.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Its illegal becuz it moves the position of the cats... Cali state law says cats must be in stock location.. LT's move them thus it being illegal.... get a catted Y go to a ghetto area pay someone not to look at it ur good...
Old 12-25-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

yes theyre illegal. it can pass the sniff test with a tune. some places will pass it on visual, some wont...99% of test only's will not pass. just put em in, you'll love it
Old 12-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

im planning on putting long tubes on pretty soon. anyone know if no cats will pass the sniffer with a good tune?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your right i will love it but i wont love it if i cant drive my car becuase of no registration. do you guys recomend taking them somewhere to have them installed or trying it myself? my buddies were easy on his tahoe but i think itd probably be 10x harder in my trans am. i asked my uncle today about it and he knows a guy that will pass it because hes old and cranky and doesnt take the time to look under the car. so as long as it will pass the sniff i think im good.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

i would suggest making friends with taht old and cranky guy. he can really come in handy later
Old 12-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Moving the location of the cats is illegal. Most places do the sniffer but don't do a serious visual. You could act ignorant and if they do a visual say you didn't know, and are going to switch back. Then just go to another place and try again. There are a lot of places that don't do a serious visual as long as your car isn't loud and obnoxious. That is unless you are going to a test-only station, then you are f*cked.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Teching In

they are NOT AT ALL LEGAL you will fail smog

dont get a crooked guy to pass you, because that only gets you in trouble,
if you really want to go lt's they are the best hp gain when were talking about headers

if you care about the environment go shorties with high flow cats
Old 12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=lsx24 There are a lot of places that don't do a serious visual as long as your car isn't loud and obnoxious. [/QUOTE]
How do you know if you live in NC? From what I understand every test station in Cali does a strict visual inspection and you can't pass with long tubes. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
How do you know if you live in NC? From what I understand every test station in Cali does a strict visual inspection and you can't pass with long tubes. Good luck.
I lived in Southern CA for over 12 years, and smogged my vehicle(s) every other year, so I know what I'm talking about man.

It's not hard to find a place that doesn't give a rats *** or doesn't know enough to give a rats *** if you know where to look.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsx24
I lived in Southern CA for over 12 years, and smogged my vehicle(s) every other year, so I know what I'm talking about man.

It's not hard to find a place that doesn't give a rats *** or doesn't know enough to give a rats *** if you know where to look.
Good to know.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

You take a chance either way. There are two kinds of smog shops 1). those with a car repair business that are also licenced to smog (some of these guys are clueless) and 2). Smog only places which just do smog testing for a living (NOT test-only stations--that's a different place). The thing is who knows if any of these places take your $39 and just sees if you pass (most common), or are supposed to report a failure (I've failed more than once), in which case you're still f*cked.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

lsx24 is correct. Its not very hard to pass smog in CA with Lt's. You just have to find the right shop.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its going to be a sad day when i have to go back to stock manifolds/cats for smog. ****.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarokid02
if you care about the environment go shorties with high flow cats
Dont listen to hippies. The United States have the strictest laws when it comes to emissions, just go to 3rd world counties and you see black smoke puffing out of most cars!!! If you REALLY care about smog and enviroment, go protest in other countries.....besides that... Go with longtubes... as long as you have cats, shops will pass you. Most shops dont even know where our stock cats are located, so they wont know the difference. I pass all the time, just get them and enjoy them!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Dont listen to hippies. The United States have the strictest laws when it comes to emissions, just go to 3rd world counties and you see black smoke puffing out of most cars!!! If you REALLY care about smog and enviroment, go protest in other countries.....besides that... Go with longtubes... as long as you have cats, shops will pass you. Most shops dont even know where our stock cats are located, so they wont know the difference. I pass all the time, just get them and enjoy them!!!!
Great way to put it, ill drink to that
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Just remember - fines are huge for shops that pass non-compliant cars. Anybody who knows what longtubes are is more than likely to fail you once he sees them. They are flat out illegal. You will absolutely fail if you have race headers without hookups for AIR (and EGR, if 00 and earlier).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or... you could go pass emissions with your stock exhaust.. put on ur LTs aftermarket Y. then whenever u have to go get it tested again put on your old exhaust.. pretty easy if u ask me
Old 12-27-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the problem is i need a new cat becuase its causing my car to fail. So i went out and got rondom tech high floe cats which are supposedly legal right?then i found a good deal on long tubes and a good larger diameter legal y-pipe so i got it all. I have stock ws6 cat back so now i need a cat back and ill pretty much be set. but i didnt want tp have my new cats installed and then taken off and then have everything else installed. is it a big as a hassel as it seems? dont cats have to be welded on? god im confused modding cars is alot of bullshit you know it? and not worth it almost in ca. how does chip foose get away with it on overhaulin so much hes in ca you knw. Cause of all those old cars that are pre-smog years