Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Functional Ram Air

Most claim only 5-10 HP gain with functioanl rain air. I just bought a WS9 hood with the taller airbox. I have been modding my car for several years and have noticed a some big differences in changes I've made. Never have I EVER noticed such a tremendous power gain with a single modification.

Going from the free ram air mod (airbox bottom cut out) to functional ram air was like changing out my whole stock exhaust for headers, ORY, and a good catback. When I get to about 45 mph, it accelerates like it never has before.

This doesn't sound right from what everybody on here says. Has anyone experienced the same kind of gains going to a true functional ram aim induction system?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Most claim only 5-10 HP gain with functioanl rain air. I just bought a WS9 hood with the taller airbox. I have been modding my car for several years and have noticed a some big differences in changes I've made. Never have I EVER noticed such a tremendous power gain with a single modification.

Going from the free ram air mod (airbox bottom cut out) to functional ram air was like changing out my whole stock exhaust for headers, ORY, and a good catback. When I get to about 45 mph, it accelerates like it never has before.

This doesn't sound right from what everybody on here says. Has anyone experienced the same kind of gains going to a true functional ram aim induction system?

hmmm i jsut did the same thing. I just bought a WS6 hood and the WS6 Lower Air Box. and yea i will cut out all the plastic again on the lower air box. But what other free mod did you do?

got any pics?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it hard to believe from everything I read it only helps if your goin 100+mph, it might be a mental thing too, ive had people tell me they felt a gain with just a K&N filter b/c they want to notice something b/c they payed 50 bux for a filter. IDK id have to see some track times or some kinda proof
Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to get a true ram air effect, you would need to have a scoop several feet in the air. and yeah, i think it might just be a mental thing.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I find it hard to believe from everything I read it only helps if your goin 100+mph, it might be a mental thing too, ive had people tell me they felt a gain with just a K&N filter b/c they want to notice something b/c they payed 50 bux for a filter. IDK id have to see some track times or some kinda proof

you can definalty notice a difference with the FRA mod. hell, you can hear the air being sucked in, plus it feels peppier too...

but i am more curious to what the first poster did..
Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

The major difference I noticed is the throttle response. I felt a lil better especially on the hwy.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

I think you get a better effect with a car which has better flowing heads and a higher cam ramp rate because the valves are held open for a longer period of time, allowing better flow ... versus a mildly modded bolt-on or near-stock vehicle. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JEB99TA

sounds to me like your complaining. lol. but i did notice a big difference when i changed out the k&n cold air intake to the ram air. it was like night and day.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hmmm i jsut did the same thing. I just bought a WS6 hood and the WS6 Lower Air Box. and yea i will cut out all the plastic again on the lower air box. But what other free mod did you do?

got any pics?

With a dremmel tool, I cut the rectangular hole wider on the backside of the hood where the air flows in. When the hood closes, it matches almost perfectly with the rectangular hole on the taller airbox.

Don't think it would help much to cut the bottom of the taller airbox out like the FRA mod on the regular airbox, but, I might be wrong. I def noticed a bigger difference than what is being said by a lot of people on ls1tech.com.

"From-a-roll-racing" at 40+ mph, it seems like I won't have as much a struggle against M6 cars now, even though the M6's obviously have the advantage from a high roll.

sounds to me like your complaining. lol. but i did notice a big difference when i changed out the k&n cold air intake to the ram air. it was like night and day.
Yeah Bird, at higher speeds, it accelerates much better. Thanks for the input my freind.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 12-28-2006 at 05:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

no prob. lol
Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

you can take the baffles out of the ws6 hood to improve airflow also..just drill the rivets and yank them out (there glued in too).
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

well all u r doing is creating less restriction when the free mod is done ( cutting a hole under lower air box) and by removing ram air baffles allows faster rate of air directly to inlet plus cooler air in, then under hood air, which would give faster rpm climb. that would give u some hp gain that u r feeling.

fuerzaws6
Old 12-28-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone who says a ramair setup is worth 5-10 hp does not spend much time on a dyno. Fact is, a true ramair setup will add little to no power on a stationary chassis dyno. This is not to say it does not add power at speed. I have seen multiple C5 vettes with the vararam setup installed and they all pick up between 3-5 mph in the 1/4, yet output on the dyno is exactly the same as before the installation of the ramair. A gain of 4 mph in the 1/4 would be equal to an approximate 40 hp gain!
This has been a hotly debated topic for years, and since there is no effective way to see the power gains at high speeds, it will continue to be so. The simple fact is if the car is faster down the track, then assuming all other things are equal, the car IS making more power, period.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have the stock hood and cut holes in the front and back of the brace and used some weatherstripping to create a seal to the airbox on the backside. It's a direct shot of cold air to the air filter. I can't say I noticed a dramatic difference.

A thought: you may have been running a little rich and the colder air is giving you better AFR??
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

does anyone have pics fo what the baffels in the hood looks liek?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i gained over 20rwhp with my intake over stock...i proved it in a couple old posts...i think i gained like 10-12rwhp over the FTRA...i mean look at my mph for proof...now i cant wait to get the qtps on...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i gained over 20rwhp with my intake over stock...i proved it in a couple old posts...i think i gained like 10-12rwhp over the FTRA...i mean look at my mph for proof...now i cant wait to get the qtps on...

What did ya do???
Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have taken the baffles out of my hood, and on several occasions have put the rear baffle back on (and taken off). i have done 2 tests with it on and 2 with it off, driving from my parents house in eastern NC to Charlotte (about a 4 hour drive), i tried to keep everything the same (including speed). i saw about a 4 mpg difference between the trips.

so in true "Mythbusters" style, i say that a gain from a Ram Air hood is Plausable.

i'm not saying that air is being forced into the intake like some people seem to think Ram Air is, but i think that the hood does collect some fresh air in at highway speeds.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
What did ya do???
look at my sig and click on the link...i think there is another one out there somewhere too
Old 12-29-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrs1313
look at my sig and click on the link...i think there is another one out there somewhere too

will need to look at this later