Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout outs good or bad?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutout outs good or bad?

I am looking to get cutouts put on my 99 z28, as far as exhaust goes i only have borla catback, I am not sure if i have headers or not? (i know sounds dumb i should know if I do). I am aiming for a daily driver and to make decent power. would the cutouts be a good investment? any info on what i will have to do or replace to fit the cutouts on would be appreciated.
also i love the sound of my exhaust will this affect the sound, such as leaking cutouts?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Banned

Cutouts are a popular cheap mod, but realistically has been shown just to gain a handful of hp. Not worth the trouble imo.

Better to save your money for a very good exhaust system.

A 2.5" True Dual system out the back with or without headers will put a smile on your face all the time and will perform better than any cutout.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You drive a lot. Most who drive a lot prefer a cutout. That way you can let the exhaust flow through the muffler while driving, and you can open the cutout when you want extra power. Depending on your setup, it could make as much as a 15hp difference. I've seen it on the dyno in person. But that was a max effort setup with heads and a T-rex.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

alright does borla do a true dual system, i love the sound my car has now.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Borla doesn't have a true dual system...but if you wanted to stick with Borla products you could use their mufflers on a dual system.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

You don't need a true dual system. The gains from a true dual system going through two mufflers instead of a Ypipe going through no muffler will be very small if any. Not to mention scraping on every speed bump around...

Go with an eletric cutout. I like my McCord. $117 Best of both worlds. Quiet(er) when closed. Loud as hell open.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

it all depends on what you want, I got a magnaflow b/c I wanted an aggressive sound without being EXTREAMLY load and reaspy another good one is hooker, but if you want it loud as hell either get a cutout, LM, or just dont have a catback
Old 12-28-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

you need backpresure. during the installation of my supermaxx LT, cats and y-pipe system, i drove about 50 miles with just the LTs and cats. sure it was nice and loud, but the car lost a tremendous amount of HP. i'd say about 30rwhp! from what i started with. after i got everything bolted together, the power felt great!!! if you're unhappy with your aftermarket full exhaust system, then i suggest get a true dual system.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

The dyno graphs all disagree with your backpressure theory. The more free-flowing your exhaust, the better an LS1 makes power.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i say go with good flowing exhuast like magnaflow and still have the electric cut out.. like that it will be pretty good flowing exhuast and when you want to hear that extra loudness you just open it up lol..
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

A cutout was one of the first mods I ever did. I never put it on a dyno, but you could FEEL the difference... the car was very noticeably different with the cutout open. That's when I took the cap off and never looked back. It is NOT a waste of time or money, especially for the price.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
i say go with good flowing exhuast like magnaflow and still have the electric cut out.. like that it will be pretty good flowing exhuast and when you want to hear that extra loudness you just open it up lol..
Yup. That's my combo.
Pacesetters --> ORY --> Cutout --> Magnaflow muffler welded in place of stock

I really like the sound mine has.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jay_99z
The gains from a true dual system going through two mufflers instead of a Ypipe going through no muffler will be very small if any.
That's not true. A True dual system will ALWAYS have more tq than a ypipe system, because of the scavenging effect of the xpipe. As long as you are using straight-through mufflers (doesn't matter how many) there will be no restriction (just like a cutout), but it will perform better (because of the crossover).
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, the power from true duals is nice, but IMHO not worth the constant noise that you get. That's the only reason that I went ORY instead of true duals. If not for that awful noise and the way that it makes everything rattle in the car, I'd have true duals as well. I just can't see driving the car 2hrs from home (each direction) and having that constant loud LS1 sound in my ears.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Teching In

I think borla is a wast of money. it comes with a cutout but everyone i know leaves it open and don't even use that 600 dallor muffler.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cutouts are supposed to be used to scare women and children with your LOUD exhaust. Any performance gains are minimal, so keep things in perspective. Cutouts are a great, cheap way for an otherwise quiet car to set off car alarms and make ricers poop their pants at the touch of a button. Just make sure they are legal in your state, or you may need to buy a mechanic a 30 pack of lites to get it inspected.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Any performance gains are minimal, so keep things in perspective.

I gained about .25 sec and about 3 mph at the track (1/4 mile) with my cutout open. I have a stock muffler and catback pipe going to it, with Pacsetter long tubes, and pacsetter offroad Y-Pipe. See sig for other mods.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N4cer
I agree, the power from true duals is nice, but IMHO not worth the constant noise that you get. That's the only reason that I went ORY instead of true duals. If not for that awful noise and the way that it makes everything rattle in the car, I'd have true duals as well. I just can't see driving the car 2hrs from home (each direction) and having that constant loud LS1 sound in my ears.
You have obviously not driven in a car with 2.5" true duals exiting out the back with one full size muffler, like mine was (I had the Bassani system).

There is absolutely NO drone, annoying loudness, or rasp. It's clean and quiet as factory.

You're thinking of TSP's dumped duals, which are annoying as hell. Or dual systems with bullet mufflers, which are loud as hell also.

The Bassani system (or a custom one using the same dual-in dual-out full size muffler configuration) is refined which is why it costs more than most catbacks. But's it's stainless steel and will outperm and outlast the life of the car.

Just think of all the Vettes that are running around with True Duals with full size mufflers, do you think those are bad too?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrawlinRS
:
I gained about .25 sec and about 3 mph at the track (1/4 mile) with my cutout open. I have a stock muffler and catback pipe going to it, with Pacsetter long tubes, and pacsetter offroad Y-Pipe. See sig for other mods.
I agree that any performance gain will depend on the setup. I saw little gain over a hooker aerochamber muffler with the cutout open. A more restrictive setup (stock, for example) would obvioiusly benefit from a cutout. Also, big cams would also benefit from the cutout. I've always thought of the sound advantage as being the most fun though - good times scaring unsuspecting people.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monicaz28
A cutout was one of the first mods I ever did. I never put it on a dyno, but you could FEEL the difference... the car was very noticeably different with the cutout open. That's when I took the cap off and never looked back. It is NOT a waste of time or money, especially for the price.

Search this Thread