Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Flowmasters after axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual Flowmasters after axle

I have been debating on how to do true duals. Listening to clips it seems that longer pipe after the muffler leads to more seperation in the exhaust note, especially under deceleration. I doubt that is a good description, but I would like to avoid that sound.

I love the sound of mufflers that are dumped before the axle whether its bullets, 1 chamber flows, etc. These seem to have none of the "seperation," but are going to be louder. There is one clip posted by 1sickta that has flows after the axle. I couldnt really tell a whole lot because of the rumble inside the shop. From what I could tell I think I would like that setup.

My only thought was to add bullets in front of those to quiet it down more if I felt it was too loud. Dutchesscamaro had that awesome setup with a resonator and muffler after the axle. I thought sticking a bullet in there might act in a similar manner as his resonator. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

bump 0_o
Old 12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

Running duals over the axle and out the back will be the most refined sound, you probably don't want to dump them before the axle because of how loud it is, inside and outside the car, and the vibrations, you'd go crazy in no time at all.

Adding a bullet muffler here and there does act as a resonator. I did two bullets on my 91 SHO to cure rasp that was coming from the ypipe, but it doesn't really cut down on volume. Bullets are just glorified straight pipes, so if you're looking for them to actually quiet the car a whole lot look somewhere else.

For your duals, have you considered running dual 2.5" over the axle and into a single dual-in dual-out full size muffler? That sounds the most refined of true duals (other than running 2 full size mufflers, but there is no room for that...). I had that setup after researching all the possible combinations of duals for my car. I think it would probably cure the 'separation' you are talking about. It was mellow at idle and low revs and roared at WOT. I think it's the most 'refined' dual configuration we can get on fbodys.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I will probly try dumping whatever muffler I go with before the axle since its the cheapest and I can add later if its too loud inside, which is most likely to happen. If the bullets do help out like a resonator and lower sound levels by even a little bit, that should be enough with the pipes out the back and a muffler behind the axle. As long as I can get the interior noise to an acceptable level the neighbors can worry about the exterior noise