Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does placement of Xpipe or mufflers effect sound qualilty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does placement of Xpipe or mufflers effect sound qualilty

I know the topic of which is better a Xpipe or Hpipe is better, or which muffler/bullit sounds better has been beat to death.

But I couldn't find and answer for placement.

would a Xpipe placed closer to LTs be more benifical or placed a little further down?

How does having mufflers say just before the axle (while still being piped over the axle and out the back) differ from have them near the stock muffler location?

Im looking to run Duals out the back and over the Axle. but im looking for the throatiest, crip note i can get.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

The closer the xpipe is to the header collector the better.

Have you considered running 2.5" duals into a single full size dual-in dual-out muffler in the stock location? That will be the most refined sounding of the true dual combinations for our cars. I researched duals endlessly and came up with that combination to run because of several reasons number one being refinement.

Placement of mufflers does effect tone somewhat but if the system is still true duals and the same size it's not going to sound a whole lot different if they are before or after the axle. A more of a difference will be seen with whether or not they are routed over the axle and out the rear.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input.

I am actually considering the Bassani true dual exhuast set up. the only thing i don't like about it is the fact of that wicked turn for the passenger tail pipe to come out of the stock location. to me it lookes to jumbled, even if it doesn't ristrict power that much.

and say if i was to put one maganapack on the pass. side tailpipe and run the dr side around like the SLP CME with a maganapack on that pipe, wouldn't it mess with equilization, sound funny no?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

H-Pipe will be a little louder...not sure what you mean by crisp-------
Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Im trying to work with what i can buy, I've been searching and searching for places around me to do a custom True dual setup, but the closest one is kooks, and i don't have the time to travel all the way to long island.

Im not even sure i know what i mean by crisp..........so heres a sounclip lol
this tone i like a lot
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...MagnaPacks.flv

this raspyness on the down rev is what i don't like. 15seconds in to 19seconds.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...=WOTnocats.flv

and i guess its raspyness with the actual bassani system.
http://www.centralfloridastreetcars..../revinpark.wmv
Old 12-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Well you know what they say, form follows function. And you're right it doesn't cost a bit of hp.

Also, in those last two clips above, I don't think they are running cats. That will add some of the raspyness you mention on decel.

If you listen to the Bassani clips on my webpage, it doesn't have any of that raspyness to it, just clean sounding duals, and I have Magnaflow converters.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

eeeeh hope i dont get shot, but i was wondering the same thing, i was going to place the mufflers actually as close to the headers before the X and have the rest of the tubing run all the way out to the back. would that make it quiter, bassier, weezyier? i know that if you stick it out to the very end and then tip it, it sounds basically like everyone elses dose taht posts up that are dumped, minus the super loudness. my goal is to try and make it deep, but still quite. am i even in the right direction? BTW i'll be going with spiral flow's for the muffler
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reject
eeeeh hope i dont get shot, but i was wondering the same thing, i was going to place the mufflers actually as close to the headers before the X and have the rest of the tubing run all the way out to the back. would that make it quiter, bassier, weezyier? i know that if you stick it out to the very end and then tip it, it sounds basically like everyone elses dose taht posts up that are dumped, minus the super loudness. my goal is to try and make it deep, but still quite. am i even in the right direction? BTW i'll be going with spiral flow's for the muffler

I wouldnt go that route man.....
Old 02-13-2007, 03:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
H-Pipe will be a little louder...not sure what you mean by crisp-------
Brighter tones. A more harsh note is probably what he meant by *Crisp*.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BriancWS6

I wouldnt go that route man.....

have you tried it? do you think a spiral flow would act to much as a restriction if it was that close up front? i'm thinking that too but am wanting to see what others think of that as well
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would probably be closer to acting like a cat. (as far as restrictions go)
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn, best then that i try not to reinvent the wheel on this one and stick to what's tried and true.

oh yeah the people that run the dumps then switch over to taking it out the back, are they putting restrictions aswell?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think that having the Spiral Flows right off the header would kill a lot of exhaust velocity from the headers. I believe you want to keep the velocity as high *** possible off the headers to help with scavanging. Where as towards the back of the car the exhaust has allready slowed down quite a bit and the mufflers would pose as less of a restriction. However I don't really have any experience with things of this nature, but that would be my theory.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transAm-98
I would think that having the Spiral Flows right off the header would kill a lot of exhaust velocity from the headers. I believe you want to keep the velocity as high *** possible off the headers to help with scavanging. Where as towards the back of the car the exhaust has allready slowed down quite a bit and the mufflers would pose as less of a restriction. However I don't really have any experience with things of this nature, but that would be my theory.
I like your theory, and it may be closer to actual fact than fiction
Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Teching In

I was told by magnaflow that you should take a crayon and touch the exhaust and where it stops melting the crayon is where you should put your x pipe. I understand that wasnt the question , but why put one on just for sound instead of function?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was told that with true duals you wont have any rasp, no matter the set up or anything...Please tell me this is true
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

i've heard TD's still have rasp, just depends on if they were with cats or not.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

i sure hope not! mine arnt on yet, still sitting in the basement. just waiting on my Corsa clones
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine do have a SLIGHT rasp between 2500 and 3000 RPM's, but it's very faint. Overall it's better and any catback I've ever heard and still has a much deeper sound driving around town.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Most of the rasp is gone with True Duals. If you have cats, definately gone. If you don't have cats, there could be a little drone.

Quick Reply: how does placement of Xpipe or mufflers effect sound qualilty