Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III External Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Generation III External Engine
LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11
Send a message via AIM to Phil8616
Default Serpentine belt problem? Weird noise when starting car, until warm...

Off and on I have a screeching/whining noise coming from the engine bay when I start my car. It only does it if its been sitting in the driveway while its been raining a lot or I just washed it. I think its the serpentine belt, since it stops the noise when it warms up and it gets louder and more apparent when I accelerate or rev the engine. It has 102,000+ miles on it, so either way Ill probably replace it, but it doesnt have really any signs of cracking or bad wear. Any ideas of what the cause is? Dad guessed either the belt or water pump, but we havent really been able to diagnose it yet, waiting for the weather to clear up.
Phil8616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #2
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

Take the belt off and try spinning the accessories and see if you can re-create the sound. If it's an acceossry it's probably the alt.

You can completely remove the A/C accessory belt and see if that is the culprit, otherwise it is most likely a one of three things, bad belt...worn idler pulley, or worn tensioner pulley.

Hope this helps.
98 T/A, stock A4, 85maf, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS2 timing chain, ported LS6 oil pump, LS6 PCV, ARP everything, mac mids, elec. cut out, baer eradispeed brake setup w/ braided lines, bmr lca's/relocatation, bmr welded subframe, bmr front/rear sways, bmr adjustable tq. arm, prokit, bilsteins, 17x9.5 konig appeals, racetronix pump, WS6 hood, full decals & side-trim delete, Ford 8.8 rear w/3.73s. ASP UD, overdrive alt.

To do: H/C/PR
kawasakiklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks, Ill try those things this weekend and hopefully find the problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7
Send a message via Yahoo to The1N_only

Its probably one of your idler pulleys. Start the car ans while it making the noise spray some wd40 on the bearings on the idler pulley and see if it goes away

The1N_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1N_only
Its probably one of your idler pulleys. Start the car ans while it making the noise spray some wd40 on the bearings on the idler pulley and see if it goes away
Just be sure not to get it on anything else otherwise the noise make go away and it isn't because of the intended target.

oh and obviously, be careful with your hand down there.

FYI If I remember correctly if you remove the A/C belt that will leave you with only one idler pulley and one tensioner pulley for checking, may be easier since the A/C is at the bottom.
98 T/A, stock A4, 85maf, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS2 timing chain, ported LS6 oil pump, LS6 PCV, ARP everything, mac mids, elec. cut out, baer eradispeed brake setup w/ braided lines, bmr lca's/relocatation, bmr welded subframe, bmr front/rear sways, bmr adjustable tq. arm, prokit, bilsteins, 17x9.5 konig appeals, racetronix pump, WS6 hood, full decals & side-trim delete, Ford 8.8 rear w/3.73s. ASP UD, overdrive alt.

To do: H/C/PR
kawasakiklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Tech Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to ChocoTaco369

my car does the exact same thing. my water pump has seen better days, i know for a fact. it's got a very slow leak, and it wasn't doing it until the water pump decided to be a *****. i need to buy a new water pump and a goodyear gatorback belt. i'm sure that'll fix my problem. it'll probably fix yours too.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=56490&dateline=122564  4822

ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

I appreciate the help and will try all of the advice this coming week, gotta get ready to ring in 07 first, everbody be safe out there....

-Philip
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
altenator, bearing, bearings, belt, car, idler, ls1, noise, pack, pulley, serpentine, sound, squeal, starting, trouble, warm, weird, with