Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another header problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Yet another header problem

I installed a set of the XS stainless steel headers a few weeks ago and when I got under the car this weekend to make sure everythings ok I saw that the pass side header is auctually up against the starter! I looked at it from the top to make sure it wasnt just the angle I was looking at it, but sure enough its right on it. The cars been running fine since the install except for some rattles in the exhaust, but knowing the headers rubbing on the starter is making me a little nervous. It doesnt look like its hurting either one except there a little mark on the starter where its rubbing. Is this going to cause any problems or is there any way to fix it? Thanks everyone.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine were not even close to the starter. I had a 72 chevelle with a 454 where the header almost touched the starter. From a cold start it was fine, after it was warmed up, if you shut it off and tried to start it back up, it would not work. Granted it was a big block and put more heat out, and I dont know how much heat that your headers put off, but I'd say that could be a concern.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear your problem. It always sucks when you notice problems after a header install. I'm still trying to solve the problems I have on mine. Goodluck!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

One of the primaries is literailly right on the starter. Its never had any probs starting up or anything (yet). Im just worried that having it right on the starter will cause some damage. Ill try and get some pics up to show exactly whats going on.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

I had to take mine back off to give it an adjustment with a bfh. I tried to adjust it without removing it, but just couldn't get an angle on it to do any good. I figured my problem was due to my running an 04 GTO LS1 (different mounting pad height and starter) in my TA...guess I was wrong. It looks like the quality control on these headers is not the finest...but I reckon that I got what I paid for.

Galen
Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

bump for today...anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont buy ebay headers!!!! Seriously, sell them and buy pacesetter if your looking for a cheap header that actually is of quality.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed XS Stainless headers on my bird too, and just like yours, mine is hitting the starter too. Oh well, they were cheap so I guess I expected somthing to be F*cked up.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting..

And I was just about to purchase these. I may have to rethink this.

I can get some custom made for me by my buddies (who make honda/dsm turbo manifolds) for cheap he said. All 100% SS.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wonder why no one else has mentioned this so far, maybe its just the recent batch?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
wonder why no one else has mentioned this so far, maybe its just the recent batch?

Could be, I bought mine in December
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I bought mine around November. This has really been the only problem with them besides the driverside collecter being slightly pointed up. Im sitll wondering if this will cause any long term damage though...I cant imagine that having the primary right up against the starter could be to good, or maybe Im just making a big deal out of nothing.

Specialized- Id still go for them man. I dont know anywhere you can get SS headeres for that much. If this is the only problem, I think I can live with it.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 AM
TECH Regular

That does not sound like it would be very good for the starter. That's a lot of heat right up against it. I would think that if it got hot enough it could melt wires inside the starter and be a potental fire hazard.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Specialized- Id still go for them man. I dont know anywhere you can get SS headeres for that much. If this is the only problem, I think I can live with it.
Umm the starter has a heat shield around it for a reason, to keep exhaust heat off of it. Ebay headers are crap, especially is they are resting on the starter. You will probably go through more starters if your header is against it. Stainless steel or not, any header that doesnt fit right is crap. id take a set of uncoated pacesetters ove some jacked up fitting SS crap any day.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

I'd just put an extra heat sheild around the starter and hope for the best. If that doesn't work you'll need to get a better quaility header.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

if it sparks and starts a fire... i'd double check to make sure your insurance company will cover that if caused by an aftermarket part...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

All you have to do is mark where the starter is rubbing and tap the header with a hammer. Problem solved. Anyone who ever installed headers 20 years ago (I know, I am showing my age) had to do this to make them fit. I found that I had to remove the header to get a good angle on it to make the dent that I needed

Originally Posted by brad8266
Dont buy ebay headers!!!! Seriously, sell them and buy pacesetter if your looking for a cheap header that actually is of quality.
Originally Posted by brad8266
Umm the starter has a heat shield around it for a reason, to keep exhaust heat off of it. Ebay headers are crap, especially is they are resting on the starter. You will probably go through more starters if your header is against it. Stainless steel or not, any header that doesnt fit right is crap. id take a set of uncoated pacesetters ove some jacked up fitting SS crap any day.
Why is it that when there is a post about these headers the idiots with absolutely no firsthand knowledge about the product feel the need to post this crap? Don't they understand it is better to remain silent and be assumed an idiot than to open their mouth and remove all doubt?

Good luck!

Galen
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest the hammer method, but then he would have to remove the headers like you said, and if it is rubbing there is NO WAY a heat shield would fit. A heat shield has space between the starter to dicipate the heat with air that moves over it. I tried the hammer method with my Chevelle that was mentioned before, but there was not enough room because that bbc just put off too much heat. I had to get the smaller high torque starter from summit.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info Galen. I was going to say that I wanted to fix the problem, not just the "sell it and buy x header" solution, but it seems like you pretty much nailed it. The hammer method was more than likely what I was going to do although I dont know how soon I can do it. Im guessing the heat from the header would be the only thing to worry about with them in the current condition. Im not in danger of anything failing immediately though, right?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Im not in danger of anything failing immediately though, right?
I wouldnt think so.. but dont quote me on that. I Make sure your wires are not anywhere near the primary (as if it wasnt obvious)