Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatech stepped race headers installed today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynatech stepped race headers installed today

We got the Dynatech headers installed on the SS today. First off I'd like to say that they were much easier to install than the Hooker Super Competitions that we took off. Hard to believe that with larger tubes that this could be the case but it's true. I've just got the collectors that came with the headers on for now. I'll tune for collector length on the dyno tomorrow. I'm hoping to pick up a couple of more horsepower with these headers even before modding the motor any more. The only downside I can see for now is that they hang much, much lower than the Hooker headers did. The header is now the lowest part of the engine hanging a couple of inches lower than the oilpan. As my car isn't driven on the street anymore I don't think this is going to be a problem for me but it would surely cause issues if I drove on the street like this. I've got shorter than stock tires on the front and the car is also lowered so maybe a stock height car wouldn't run into the same problems. I'll post up as soon as I get dyno results to compare the two headers. I'm not sure if this is where I should have posted this but I wanted to add what I discovered today. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far things aren't going so well with the new headers. The car is down 50+ horsepower and 50+ ft lbs or torque throughout the power curve. I've started a thread about it in the dyno section looking for some ideas. Boy, this sure wasn't what I expected with a header upgrade. I'll post back when I get this straightened out.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. check for a leak at the gaskets, or maybe even a hole in the primaries or something. something HAS to be leaking for a loss that big! there's definitely a huge problem in the installation. what else could it be? stepped headers are supposed to help even stock engines.