Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are long tube headers going to rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are long tube headers going to rattle?

I have a set of pacesetter longtubes, I'm not willing to install poly mounts, so I'm wondering with stock mounts will the headers/y-pipe hit the bottomside of the car?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Mine weren't rattling against the bottom of the car. However, they were rattling on the crossmember. I fixed that problem by installing a hanger arm to my y-pipe. I have Jet Hots off road Y. They did not come with a hanger arm.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
I have a set of pacesetter longtubes, I'm not willing to install poly mounts, so I'm wondering with stock mounts will the headers/y-pipe hit the bottomside of the car?
I did the mounts and it is a pain IMO, Seeing that your car is a 98, they may possibly be bad anyway. My mounts rubber wasnt even bonded to the metal anymore. My Y-pipe still hits my crossmember and also my torque arm. I couldnt even put that tunnel/d-shaft brace thing in after the swap.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

shouldn't if the headers were made to the correct specs and installed correctly...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had some clearance issues with the k member on the driver side. Fixed by sliding a piece of heater hose in between the header and the k member
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Depends. Mounts will solve it most likely, but its a pain in the ***.

I never installed the mounts and didnt have one rattle with my pacesetters.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether or not your exhaust hits the bottom of the car all depends on the condition of your stock motor mounts. Odds are they're pretty worn, if not completely trashed. My motor would rock over an inch back & forth at idle (lumpy cam) with the stock mounts, mine were trashed. If you want to tuck your exhaust up for the best ground clearance, you need to have mounts that keep the motor from rocking. You're gonna have the headers off anyway, there's never going to be a better time to put poly mounts in......do it, you'll kick yourself if you don't. My $.02
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine didnt
Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Whether or not your exhaust hits the bottom of the car all depends on the condition of your stock motor mounts. Odds are they're pretty worn, if not completely trashed. My motor would rock over an inch back & forth at idle (lumpy cam) with the stock mounts, mine were trashed. If you want to tuck your exhaust up for the best ground clearance, you need to have mounts that keep the motor from rocking. You're gonna have the headers off anyway, there's never going to be a better time to put poly mounts in......do it, you'll kick yourself if you don't. My $.02

I agree completely, just do the motor mounts while your doing the headers its actually really easy to do once the headers are off, its worth it for more than just keeping the ypipe hitting, it tightens the whole car up.

Poly motor mounts are cake while your doing the headers, just consider it part of the install.

As for whether they will hit or not, yes most of it has to do with how bad your stock mounts are. How many miles are on the car?

At about 80k miles my stock motor mounts were shot enough that the ypipe rattled quite a bit. There are alot of tweaks that can be done to keep the y from banging but NOTHING is as effective as poly motor mounts.

With the exception of course of solid motor mounts
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

79k I hated my poly mtrans mount. I have poly motor mounts, but I have no intent of installing them, Will stock mounts keep them from hitting?

What normaly hits the y-pipe or the headers?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

the majority of cars will have no problems with rattles fat as the headers... the y-pipe and true duals is the problem getting them tucked up enough yet still not hitting the floorboard... nothing some poly motor mounts and bumpstops can't hurt for asurance
Old 01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

79k I hated my poly mtrans mount. I have poly motor mounts, but I have no intent of installing them, Will stock mounts keep them from hitting?

the floorboards
Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
That's what she said...

Poly motor mounts are nothing like a poly trans mount. My poly trans mount caused vibration, motor mounts did not.

My advice, install the mounts, then send me a thank you card.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

were can i get poly mounts and how much money are they
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

if you do poly mounts, you really need to do both motor and trans at the same time so you dont end up with unforseen issues.

but no, LTs wont bump your bottom, the pacesetter y pipe will though, so dont get it
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cop Car
if you do poly mounts, you really need to do both motor and trans at the same time so you dont end up with unforseen issues.
For clarification, you can install poly motor mounts and leave the stock rubber trans mount without any problems. What you want to avoid is installing a poly trans mount and leaving worn stock rubber motor mounts in place. This can put stress on the tailshaft of the transmission and cause it to crack.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

What kind of vibes to poly motor mounts cause? Low(thumps) or high(buzzing)?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

You can get them from our fantastic sponsor speed inc. http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis part #7-512 towards the bottom of the page.

And yes poly trans and motor mounts are totally different. You never want to install a trans mount more rigid than your motor mounts.

I thought it was more because of risking cracking the bellhousing not the tailshaft? Because the motor will move more on softer mounts and the trans won't follow?

and NO YOU DO NOT need to do trans and motor mounts at the same time .
Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Luna
You can get them from our fantastic sponsor speed inc. http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis part #7-512 towards the bottom of the page.

And yes poly trans and motor mounts are totally different. You never want to install a trans mount more rigid than your motor mounts.

I thought it was more because of risking cracking the bellhousing not the tailshaft? Because the motor will move more on softer mounts and the trans won't follow?

and NO YOU DO NOT need to do trans and motor mounts at the same time .

Quick Reply: Are long tube headers going to rattle?