Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid Filter???

Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lid Filter???

I Just Recieved My Slp Lid Ups And Was Just Wondering If The Stock Air Filter Or K&n Will Fit Or Do I Need A Bigger One. I Will Buy A Bigger One Up On The Way Home From Work Today If I Need To. I Already Have A K&n Replacement Air Filter In The Stock Lid Now. Thanks For Any Help.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock(and your K&N) will fit, no worries.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Great, I Will Install As Soon As I Get Home. I Just Had Obx Headers Installed And The Guy At The Performace Shop Said I Should Install An Intake Kit. The Car Goes Back To Shop On Monday For 373 Rear End. Cant Wait
Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

keep the paper element.. you wont gain but 1hp with a K&N..

paper element = $11
K&N= $45

OBX headers hu? you sir i think are one of the first people to try these.. you should start a separate thread on this section about them.. there are a few people interested in them but no one has pictures of them installed or Dyno #'s.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I Already Have The K&n In There From The Previous Owner. I Am Going To Post A Thread With Pics And Sounds Of The Obx When I Get The Complete Next Week. Should Be Wednesday Or Thursday. I Will Try To Anwser As Many Questions As I Can About The Obx On That Thread.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
keep the paper element.. you wont gain but 1hp with a K&N..

paper element = $11
K&N= $45

OBX headers hu? you sir i think are one of the first people to try these.. you should start a separate thread on this section about them.. there are a few people interested in them but no one has pictures of them installed or Dyno #'s.

aww man! come on now, i cant be the only one that gained 5,000 rwhp from puttin in a k&n filter!?!?!? u know its the best investment ever, i get like 300 miles to a gallon too
Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

what air filter?

after removing mine at the track (new k&n to boot) i picked up 2 mph and naturally the ET dropped accordingly. i didn't even use an air filter for the last 5k or so i had the car.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

s346k you drove around for 5K miles with no filter at all?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

i tried runnin at the track w/out the filter

13.5 w/filter
13.5 w/out filter

Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s346k
what air filter?

after removing mine at the track (new k&n to boot) i picked up 2 mph and naturally the ET dropped accordingly. i didn't even use an air filter for the last 5k or so i had the car.
I hope this is a joke
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont even know what to say about what s346k said.. i really do hope he is joking... 5k with no filter

with 1500 posts he has to be joking
Old 01-12-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

no, i am not joking. i took it out at the track one night just to see...then forgot to put it back in. i didn't notice until i went to clean it, only to pop off the lid and be like WTF?

what can it hurt? the car had a speed density tune on it - it's not like i was driving around rock quarries and flat-tracking it in the back 40. it never left the pavement and rarely got driven...oil changed religiously. i don't see the big deal. hell i ran an old school sbc like 50k with no air filter before chucking a rod...the cylinder walls looked fine.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well with my ultra z hood and the slp cold-air induction, my filter gets plenty of dirt in it... all i know is i wouldnt run my car like that...

if u feel fine with it out then go for it..
Old 01-13-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, i am not joking. i took it out at the track one night just to see...then forgot to put it back in. i didn't notice until i went to clean it, only to pop off the lid and be like WTF?

what can it hurt? the car had a speed density tune on it - it's not like i was driving around rock quarries and flat-tracking it in the back 40. it never left the pavement and rarely got driven...oil changed religiously. i don't see the big deal. hell i ran an old school sbc like 50k with no air filter before chucking a rod...the cylinder walls looked fine.
CRAZY!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what can it hurt? are you serious? drive around with an airfilter for 5,000 miles and see how much dirt and crap it collects. all that **** goes straight into your engine if theres no filter, which equals bad news. plus small bugs or anything like that can damage the wires on your MAF if it is aftermarket or descreened.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
what can it hurt? are you serious? drive around with an airfilter for 5,000 miles and see how much dirt and crap it collects.
i did that for 10k miles, and the filter didn't look any dirtier. you have yet to tell me what it can hurt. as i stated earlier, the car had a speed density tune - which renders the maf and its wires TOTALLY USELESS. if i was driving around construction sites and gravel roads i would understand the arguments, but the car never left the pavement and sat inside all the time. there was probably a better chance of mice nesting in the lid than me toasting an engine because of not running an air filter. really the only thing that could happen would be scarring of the cylinder walls, and that would take thousands upon thousands of miles in very dirty/dusty conditions to occur.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so after 10,000 miles you're sayin you filter didnt collect any dirt/dust?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did that for 10k miles, and the filter didn't look any dirtier. you have yet to tell me what it can hurt. as i stated earlier, the car had a speed density tune - which renders the maf and its wires TOTALLY USELESS. if i was driving around construction sites and gravel roads i would understand the arguments, but the car never left the pavement and sat inside all the time. there was probably a better chance of mice nesting in the lid than me toasting an engine because of not running an air filter. really the only thing that could happen would be scarring of the cylinder walls, and that would take thousands upon thousands of miles in very dirty/dusty conditions to occur.
im not gonna argue with u, cause its not my car and if u want to wreck the motor thats your problem, have fun guys.

Search this Thread