Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not enough back pressure?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough back pressure?

Hey guys, I'm sorry to say that I have a mere '99 v6 firebird. The two things i envy most about the Trans-Am (besides the v8) is the Ram-air hood, and dual exhaust pipes. I was gonna have duals put on (i know it wouldnt change much on a v6, but i like the way it looks), but my friend said that if i had that much exhaust removal on a v6, i would LOSE hp because there wasnt enough back pressure. Is he right? because Im relatively new to all this, and it sounds crazy enough to be true. Ty for anyone who helps.

Yours truely,
the Noob
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need for "back pressure" is a bunch of bullshit.

What you don't want is too little "exhaust gas velocity". You can and will lose power down low if your exhaust is too big.

If you keep the stock manifolds and cats you should be fine, though.

My opinion is to save your money until you can get a V8...
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-12-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

My opinion is to save your money until you can get a new car...

fixed
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

ty guys thats all i needed. Prior to this thread, i had a cherry bomb glass pack put on and did notice some increase in speed, so im good to go for now. I cant wait to get a v8...Im thinkin bout a '01, burnt orange w/ black rims.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Need for "back pressure" is a bunch of bullshit.

What you don't want is too little "exhaust gas velocity". You can and will lose power down low if your exhaust is too big.

If you keep the stock manifolds and cats you should be fine, though.

holy **** high 5.

people understand EGT but not EGV... you are correct 110%.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I was talkin to a guy down here who said he can-instead of customizing an entirely new true dual exhaust system- merely attatch a small piece of piping onto the existing exhaust and rout it to pop out the side where the real dual pipe would be. he said he could do this for under $200, and its worth it for me. would that fall into the "bad idea" category as far as "EGV"?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mistermoonpie
I was talkin to a guy down here who said he can-instead of customizing an entirely new true dual exhaust system- merely attatch a small piece of piping onto the existing exhaust and rout it to pop out the side where the real dual pipe would be. he said he could do this for under $200, and its worth it for me. would that fall into the "bad idea" category as far as "EGV"?
You mean just add a pipe somewhere? I'm kind of lost what your contact is offering you.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Lol not just anywhere...He said he would just weld a pipe onto the existing pipe (between the muffler and the exhaust tip) and rout it to the other side of the car...He said it wouldn't do anything for performance, but that it would just be a way to get an extra exhaust tip in there. Remember, im not lookin to spend a lot on an exhaust system for a v6...that would be silly. Im just goin for looks.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol not just anywhere...He said he would just weld a pipe onto the existing pipe (between the muffler and the exhaust tip) and rout it to the other side of the car...He said it wouldn't do anything for performance, but that it would just be a way to get an extra exhaust tip in there. Remember, im not lookin to spend a lot on an exhaust system for a v6...that would be silly. Im just goin for looks.
Oh.

I see what you did there.

Honestly man you say you want a new car and are looking into one, that means you are probbly going to do it and step up to the v8.

My question would be why spend the $$ on something you are looking to dump soon?

I see what your talking about and it won't hurt but wont help least it'll look like it's got 2 tips.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get an entire exhaust setup, cat-back, fabbed up for $200. What that guy is talking about doing should be about $50, including materials.

"EGV" is exhaust gas velocity. Having an exhaust that "outflows" your engine is a bad thing, because it's the vacuum in the primary that evacuates the exhaust gases out of the chamber, not really the exhaust compression stroke of the piston. If the primary is too large, there's not enough vacuum to efficiently pull the gases out of the chamber. Conversely, if the primary is too small, the exhaust gases can't be evacuated quickly enough.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I see what u mean about waitin for the v8, but heres the thing. I just turned 18, have had the car for about 4 months, and have just over $1,000 in the bank. Im not lookin for a trans am ANYTIME soon. thats why im tryin to pimp out what i got

Search this Thread