Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L truck intake vs LS1/6

Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L truck intake vs LS1/6

This might be a dumb question but here it goes. A few months back I was reading an article in CarCraft about LS1's and such. they where dyno testing three or four diferent intakes, LS1, LS6, FAST LSx and a truck intake dubed "big ugly". Supprisingly, if I remember right, the 6.0L truck intake made more HP/TQ over the LS6 design but not the FAST.

Has anyone ever tried to use a truck intake on an F-body?
here are my questions/concerns.
1. I think the truck intake sits about 6 or 7 inches higher than the LS1/6 intake. so there would probably be clearance issues.This could probably be solved with some modifications to a stock hood or the use of a cowl hood. the TB would also sit higher and would need a custom intake duct. im pretty sure the fuel rail hook up is in about the same place as well.

2. its ugly, but a dremel could be used to clean it up. Im talking about the plastic fins that hold the trucks wireing harness in place and the mounting points for the "vortec'' plastic cover.

3. there a dime a dozen and it sounds crazy enough that it just might work, kinda like a tunnel ram? i mean... it did make more dyno proven power on an LS1 over conventional lsx intakes(exept the FAST).

this is just a theory i had so plz hold off on the bashing. I couldnt find the specific issue im talking about either so I appologize for this as well but im sure some here has seen it. Thanks for reading, Josh.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whatever works to gain more hp for lil money is awsome..

may take some modifications like you say,but you might be on to something
Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

They work o.k. till about 5000 rpms then they start to fall off compared to the other manifolds. I do not like them at all and a lot of the truck guys on PT.net are going with the LS6 manifolds. I swapped a Victor Jr. and 4bbl tb on a buddies 408 silverado w/ a 233/239 cam, and whoa what a difference! Heres the link:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...4&page=4&pp=10

Search this Thread