Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i get rid of my cat heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can i get rid of my cat heat shield?

After doing some searching i figured i just better ask, is the heat shield on my drivers side cat really important (tsp catted y)? Its banging the tranny cross member. I would have taken it off but i was concerned about the brake lines. Would the extra heat have any adverse effects? I mean im not far from NOT banging, and its the shield thats doing it. I tried hammering it down before i got it all back on, still no help. I've got poly mounts too...yeah they're not doing the work that i thought they would...at least not for the hours (days) it took to put them on. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I ripped off every piece of heat shielding I could get to on my car and it hasn't bothered anything. I have LTs, no cats and duals.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, im pretty much the same way. With every install that requires one coming off it usually doesnt make its way back on. The passenger side cats shield is long gone, who knows how that happened. Im just concerned about the crazy heat that cats generate being right under the brake lines without a shield. I suppose i could wrap them in some header wrap. Im trying to get around taking the freakin y pipe off again.

LS1 Y pipes need more work to get them in the position that you want them to be in than a woman does.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine back on, figured they were put on their for a reason and its really not that hard to put them back on
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Im most certain that they are on there for a reason. It helps keep the cats hotter. But dammit mines bangin the trans cross member and it only took three hours to get all the seams angled just right to where it was decent. I guess it wasnt good enough. Im almost positive that it wouldnt bang if that motha wasnt there.

Maybe the problem will work its self out. A week of driving it and hitting 2nd hard might make it beat the heat shield down to where it doesnt bang. lol
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shield on the cat is to protect the car. They are meant for applications which might not have cat heatshields on the car already, so they automatically put them on the cats.

If they were for keeping the cats hot, there'd be one on both sides.

Stock cats don't have shields on them, I rest my case.

If you're worried about the fuel lines, wrap those dudes or make your own heat sheild that fits a little better.