Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust leak????

I am having trouble with the passenger side of the engine running lean. My friend logged the car and he said that I have either a exhaust leak or an intake leak. The computer is adding a fair amount of fuel to the whole passenger side because it is detecting a lean condition..................My question is................If I have tightened the header bolts can I still have enough of an exhaust leak to cause this condition? If I had an exhaust leak between the header and the head would I be able to hear it? The header bolts are tight. I am looking into the possibility that it may be leaking around the slip fit portion, but I wanted to get you thoughts on wether or not it could be around the head or not.

How can I know if it is leaking between the header and the head. I don't really want to unbolt the header and put a new gasket on until I know that is what the prob is.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Do you have the original manifold in your setup or has it been swapped?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

if you put LTs or shorties and used a paper type header gasket... it could be from there. have you tried listening for a ticking noise or air being blown at you if you put your hands in that area?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

i have long tubes along with a heads and cam setup. The car is so loud that it is hard to hear much. When i put the headers on, I went with the factory Multi layer steel gaskets. I don't think that I hear a ticking from the exhaust. the header bolts are tight and I looked as much as I could to see a dark spot on the motor where it might be leaking. Maybe I have a leak where the y pipe slips on that is causing the probs.................................what ever the problem is it is throwing the passenger side off enough where it is adding 18 parts fuel to correct for it..................I would think that if it was in the exhaust that it would have to be a good size leak to cause this....................................What do you think??????????