Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow muffler question

I am thinking of replacing the Flowmaster 2 chamber single in/dual out muffler on my Formula.

Has anyone replaced the factory single in/dual out with a Magnaflow single in/dual out with any success. I would assume it would have to be a cross flow design due to the setup.

My other thought or idea would be to use a single in/ single out setup like I had on my 89 Formula. This should allow it to be a straight in and out setup?

What is everyones thought for the people that are planning on keeping the stock routing, please dont say or suggest go headers with true duals as I hate how the trual duals look and dont want to sacrafice the ground clearence for them. I plan on doing headers this year but am going with Mac midlengths as I want to keep it tucked up high and dont want to spend a fortune on a set of good/great quality headers and see way too many post of issues with almost every full length header on the market right now.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned

Have you considered the Bassani True Dual exhaust? It tucks up real nice and is routed over the axle, it's very refined so there's no drone or resonance inside the cabin. I ran it and it performed and sounded good.

As for your question, I have replaced the factory muffler with a magnaflow one, it worked pretty well. Just get the Magnaflow single in dual out muffler and you should be all set. The only thing was the piping was the factory size, so I didn't gain anything there.

Single in single out is also an option, but you will then only have one tip/exit, so it might look weird from the rear. Performance should be about the same at your level.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
On the tree

thanks for the info on the Magnaflow stuff, but i really dont like the trual duals from anyone, there are just too many things I dont like about how they ook, route, and what not.

I talked to Magnaflow and they said their single in/ dual out flows the same as their single in/ single out. So I guess I will try to source a single in/ dual out here soo.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and dont want to sacrafice the ground clearence for them.
I dont think this is a non concern with any exaust....any exaust should be able to be tucked up whrether is a single Y or double

Originally Posted by lsx24
Have you considered the Bassani True Dual exhaust? It tucks up real nice and is routed over the axle, it's very refined so there's no drone or resonance inside the cabin. I ran it and it performed and sounded good.

As for your question, I have replaced the factory muffler with a magnaflow one, it worked pretty well. Just get the Magnaflow single in dual out muffler and you should be all set. The only thing was the piping was the factory size, so I didn't gain anything there.

Single in single out is also an option, but you will then only have one tip/exit, so it might look weird from the rear. Performance should be about the same at your level.
You gotta be getting some sort of kick back....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BitViper
You gotta be getting some sort of kick back....
Lol technology and physics wise it just makes the most sense.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
On the tree

Well I talked to me local source, $130 installed for the Magnaflow single in/ dual out. I will be seeing him tomrrow after work...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow is a straight thru muffler.. I've had one for years and it is great.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

I tried the replacement Magnaflow. It sounds pretty good, but was somewhat quiet for my taste. However this was before ORY, longtubes and cam.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
On the tree

Did you all use the single in/ dual out Magnaflow like the stock muffler?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother replaced his stock SS muffler with a magnaflow muffler I bought him. It was the same style, so all the original piping stayed put, just cut the SS muffler and welded it in. It sounded nice on start up, nice soft rumble on idle, and nice deep rumble at WOT. He wanted louder so he removed it and went with a loudmouth. I still got it laying around if you want it.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a single in/ dual out Magnaflow muffler for a while. Sounded very nice!!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
On the tree

thanks for the offer 98red, but I already ordered a new on thru my local guy and am getting it installed tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
On the tree

Well I went by and had the Magnaflow put on today on my lunch.

First thing on start up I noticed was it was alot quiter than the 2 chamber Flowmaster I had on there, even with me not having cats it is alot quiter at idle and just normal driving.

Under WOT it seems to be a little quiter than the Flowmaster as well but still has a nice growl to it and is not too much more quiter. We will see how it does as the packing breaks in on the noise. Does make conversations easier in the car now though.

I looked at the Magnaflow right before they welded it in and had an idea of what I thought I would look like in my head and my idea was exactly how Magnaflow built it. Should be less restrictive than the flowmaster for sure.