Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap mods to build more rwhp & speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cheap mods to build more rwhp & speed?

my car was dyno'd at 420rwhp when I bought it.
has heads, cam, headers, ls6 intake, ls6 tb, exhaust, lid, and was dyno tuned then.

what small mods could I buy to hopefully see more hp at the wheels and better traps?

for hp... tb bypass, injectors?
for speed, plugs, injectors, suspension?

I heard I might get better trap speeds by lowering my car with shocks & springs?
I know once I get my 9" I can produce faster speeds but that won't come for awhile

any ideas would be nice!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Underdrive pulley and suspension stuff, what are your 60' times?

Tb bypass wont help, injectors wont help, plugs prolly wont help,
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

True Duals = more horsepower and torque.

For suspension: relocation brackets, LCAs, PHR, tires, rear end.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cheap... nothing really, best bet is larger cam and more agressive heads. Or a bottle.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast 90/90 or gears?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Fast 90/90 or gears?
last thing I'd call a FAST part is cheap but gears are a great idea, I don't know how it slipped my mind!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think when I lower my car I'm going to get lca's, brackets, and a phb.

what kind of gas mileage/speed would I be getting if I went from 3.42 gears to 4.10s? my car is mainly street, but every now and then I'd like to take it lightly on the track without screwing up the rear end in it til the new one is in. my best bet then is to wait until the new one is here. would there be much of a noticeable difference of mpg decrease & speed increase with a ford 9" and 4.10s?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

haven't had it on the track yet (still building on it)
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by candlelit
what kind of gas mileage/speed would I be getting if I went from 3.42 gears to 4.10s? my car is mainly street, but every now and then I'd like to take it lightly on the track without screwing up the rear end in it til the new one is in. my best bet then is to wait until the new one is here. would there be much of a noticeable difference of mpg decrease & speed increase with a ford 9" and 4.10s?
You might be running out of gear with 4.10s. With the mods you have it sounds like you would be at or around 400 rwhp. Do you know your rwhp, or have a dyno graph? What cam and heads do you have? I don't know what that kind of power traps in the quarter mile, but 4.10s are good for 121 mph in 4th @ 6500 rpm. If you think you'll be trapping higher than this, stay with 3.73.

As far as mileage, city mileage should be about the same, depending on how much you get on it. Highway mileage would slightly decrease, but when I had 4.10s I still got 24+ mpg on the freeway so we're not talking about a whole lot here.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Underdrive pulley and suspension stuff, what are your 60' times?

Tb bypass wont help, injectors wont help, plugs prolly wont help,

unless you have money to burn... don't by an underdrive pulley. i bought the SLP pulley and had a beofer and after dyno and gained a whopping 2rwhp.
so if $100 for 1rwhp is worth it to you, then go for it.
i would just go with the tb bypass, ported tb, an underneath ram air system and larger injectors. have you made any changes in rear gears?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

bottle is going to be the best bang for your buck, but a properly setup will cost around a grand
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by candlelit
I heard I might get better trap speeds by lowering my car with shocks & springs?
I know once I get my 9" I can produce faster speeds but that won't come for awhile
Why would you want to get faster traps speeds, for what I assume to be the same ET at the strip? The lower your trap speed the more efficient the transfer of power to forward motion. In other words you have less wasted energy.

With a H/C combo already on the car, there are very few "cheap" things to put on to give you more power. And even if there were "cheap" add-ons for you car at this point, you wouldn't ever notice them over the power of a H/C combo.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
unless you have money to burn... don't by an underdrive pulley. i bought the SLP pulley and had a beofer and after dyno and gained a whopping 2rwhp.
so if $100 for 1rwhp is worth it to you, then go for it.
i would just go with the tb bypass, ported tb, an underneath ram air system and larger injectors. have you made any changes in rear gears?
whoa whoa whoa, youre telling me an underdrive pulley isnt worth anything and then advising to do a tb bypass??? yea.....ok. you picked a winner there
Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
Why would you want to get faster traps speeds, for what I assume to be the same ET at the strip? The lower your trap speed the more efficient the transfer of power to forward motion. In other words you have less wasted energy.

With a H/C combo already on the car, there are very few "cheap" things to put on to give you more power. And even if there were "cheap" add-ons for you car at this point, you wouldn't ever notice them over the power of a H/C combo.
lots of good info. juice that thing
Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
last thing I'd call a FAST part is cheap but gears are a great idea, I don't know how it slipped my mind!
haha yea i know the 90/90 isnt cheap, i just threw out it there though lol

as far as gears go, i put 3.73s in mine an love it, i still get goot MPG and it isnt hard at all to drive on the street but then when you get into it and want to move or race you know that they are there

i have a friend with 4.10s in a WS6 and he wishes he woulda gone 3.73s after driving both our cars. it jsut gets to tiring driving the 4.10sw around, alot of that tho is cuz we are in so cal traffic
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
whoa whoa whoa, youre telling me an underdrive pulley isnt worth anything and then advising to do a tb bypass??? yea.....ok. you picked a winner there

underdrive pulley is not worth anything to me unless you have $200 to burn and no other bolt ons left to add b/c I only picked up 2rwhp. I could have put that towards a tub. k-member or rocker arms!!! I am very dissappointed!
now if it had only cost me $50 plus shipping, i wouldn't complain, but $100 per rwhp gain...not so nice. plus now with my tune, if i have the a/c on, the shifting gets all funky. I actully get a lot better gas mileage with the a/c on than off.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
underdrive pulley is not worth anything to me unless you have $200 to burn and no other bolt ons left to add b/c I only picked up 2rwhp. I could have put that towards a tub. k-member or rocker arms!!! I am very dissappointed!
now if it had only cost me $50 plus shipping, i wouldn't complain, but $100 per rwhp gain...not so nice. plus now with my tune, if i have the a/c on, the shifting gets all funky. I actully get a lot better gas mileage with the a/c on than off.
Everyone else ive heard seems to get around 10hp and gain about 2 mpg. So id say thats worth it.
Look at the fast intake, gains about 10-15hp for $1000, not much difference in cost per horsepower there compared to your underdrive pulley results. Most people actually get more hp per $1 for an underdrive pulley than a fast intake. so i would definitely say its worth it. even just for the mpg gain alone
Old 01-20-2007, 12:02 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lsx24
True Duals = more horsepower and torque.

For suspension: relocation brackets, LCAs, PHR, tires, rear end.
That is minor suspension. You meant to say SFC, Sway bars, Tubular K-member, Upper and Lower A-arms, and HAL QA-1's.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you get that new 9" rear, get the gears Mikronite coated. That'll help with the parasitic loss that those rears see.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is an ls6 throttle body...thought all 75mm tb's were the same...anyways get the tb ported worth at least 10rwhp on a H/C car...also get some CAI either FTRA or SSRA worth another 10-15rwhp over a stock none cai setup...and get the underdrive pully there are a ton of used ones on here got mine for 100 shipped...best back for buck mods i could think of, i would say cutout but you said you already have a nice catback right?