Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What intake would you up grade to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What intake would you up grade to?

I have an ls6 intake and want to up grade to either a fast 90/90 set-up or edelbrock carb style intake with elbow and 90mm throttle body.Which intake would it give more Hp.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since its not a big cube engine id say a 90/90 setup would be perfect. the edelbrock carb style would work well but i dont know if id be as efficient for your set-up
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think all this madness about the carb setups is a little nuts. Are people doing it just to be different? Is there a real gain to be had by switching over to this setup? By the time you do the intake and carb and all the supporting mods, how much do you gain? That's gotta be terribly expensive to gain a few hp over an LS6 or FAST intake....
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

I want to get the right intake because i will have it on my 347 until my 382 get's out of the machine shop.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shudog
I think all this madness about the carb setups is a little nuts. Are people doing it just to be different? Is there a real gain to be had by switching over to this setup? By the time you do the intake and carb and all the supporting mods, how much do you gain? That's gotta be terribly expensive to gain a few hp over an LS6 or FAST intake....
Well I think one big thing is the cost as well as the ease of carbs, to some... others like myself who grew up with EFI I find working with Crome, Hondata HP tuners ls1edit DSMlink etc, alot easier then carbs... I slowly am learning them but for alot of the older tuners who started with carbs it's better for them,

I'm sure some do it because it's cool to be carbed, why I can't explain but it just is.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have to use a carb on the carb style intake. put a square elbow on top the manifold and weld a bracket to mount a 90mm TB to. make a custom intake and your set. no need to put a carb on. the car style intake is great for big cube engines but not worth the trouble for any thing small. the cost isnt worth it either, to get the elbow, and make the intake. just get the 90/90 and be done with it, thats plenty good for the 382.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

going from an ls6 intake to one of gm's carbed intakes (with a carb on top) makes a big difference in power acourding to gm's engine dyno... carburators are know and proven to make more power(venturi effect) if set up right(magazine proven). only problem with that is the slightest change in weather and the efi is superior again.. so 9 times out of 10 the efi would most likely be making more power.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I am not going to use a carb. I am going to use a carb style intake with a intake elbow with 90mm throttlebody.