Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Throttle Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Stretched Throttle Cable?

I had this same problem with my stock TB. I thought it would go away when I went to a 90mm. Cams still not hitting the bump stop. All of the slack is taken out of the cable from TCS to Cam. Anyone ever heard of a cable stretched? I can't think of anything else it could be.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 AM
On the tree

I would not worry if it is not hitting the bump stop as long as the following two things are happening...

The throttle blade is parralelle to the incoming airflow
The ECM shows that the throttle is open 100%

If neither of those things are happening then I would check into replacing the cable.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Second Club

My bump stop mod required nearly an extra 1/4" of slack be taken up out the cable and there's still plenty left that I could take out. Besides, it would be difficult to explain how a braided steel cable would "stretch" with no more load than is put on it under these circumstances. Seems you would twist your throttle cam first
Take the clip off of the adjustment and pull extra slack out, re-clip it .. I THINK, it will adjust itself (if it's too tight) once it hit's the bump stop. I say "think" because when I adjusted mine, I only had to do it once and I'm just NOT that lucky. I assumed it pulled through to where it needed to be and by design, it wouldn't pull any further.

Hope that helps
Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Well I ordered another cable for $24. We'll see if that helps. Thanks for the replies.