Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autometer sending unit,head question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autometer sending unit,head question

does any one know if I can drill and tap my 314 passenger side head for the capilary tube and 1/2 npt sealing nut without any damage
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see a problem with it. Of course the head will have to be off the car, but as long as its done right I dont see a problem. Just keep in mind that the head you drill and tap will no longer be able to accpet the factory sensor and your gona be stuck with the heads cause I doubt anyone will buy them modified in that manner.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search, a few guys have done it. They usually just remove the passenger side plug and use an adapter that will screw right in. One guy used the coolant vent tube under the throttle body.

I'm assuming this is for a temp guage? One important thing is to NOT remove the factory temperature sending unit, or even move it. While the guage on the dash may be a dummy and not work, the PCM knows exactly what the temperature is and it uses this information to govern almost all tables for making the car run right.