Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after headers install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem after headers install HELP

I'm having serious problems after I installed my headers. I started the car and It's missfiring really bad (very loud pops out of the exhaust) and It's driving me nuts I have no idea what else to check. So I'm on here looking for advice Basically heres the low down.
I have brand new plugs (TR55's changed twice now), Brand new O2 sensors, I've checked the Wires made sure they clicked twice etc. I deleted AIR and EGR used a 1 3/8" freeze plug like said (Maybe I should double check if it's sealing correctly? would that cause it to run rich or lean?)

Also I'm running rich as hell right now I had a exhaust leak that was leaking fluid out that smelt pretty close to pure fuel. The car has no power at all above 1800RPM. So someone help me out here This thing has given me nothing but trouble throughout the install
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Only thing that comes to mind right now is a cracked plug. Did you install your headers with the plugs still in? If so, check every single one to make sure there isn't a crack somewhere. Maybe check the resistance on your wires, maybe something isn't sparking there. Are they new wires or did you re-use what you had before the install?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought cracked plugs too, but I installed a fresh set today. No change....
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look over all the connectors on the top of the engine and make sure the MAF is plugged in securely and that the boot between the MAF and TB didn't get disconnected. If you had to lift the engine at all that could have disconnected something. Also check the coil pack connectors. Keep us updated. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

MAF is plugged in, intake hose is secure, Checked the coil packs. I did lift the engine because I did motor mounts but as far as I know I didn't disconnect anything while I was in there I didn't really jack the motor up that high.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check spark plugs, one at a time. They are easy to crack
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Banned

mine ran really ruff after i did headers and it was just a cracked plug
Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Check spark plugs, one at a time. They are easy to crack
That's what happened to my buddy's TA. Small *** crack. Not like you need to bust out the microscope and lab coat nshit, but when he showed me the plug, I had to look real close to see the hairline crack all the way up/down the plug. First glance I wouldn't have seen it and thought the plug was cool. Re-check all plug wires too. I know it's monotonous, but it seems to be a limited # of things to cause this condition you're describing. Hope you find the problem.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to sound ungrateful but I already replaced the plugs and made sure the wires are tight. Could starting it with shitty plugs the first time make it learn to run with them and not relearn? I disconnected the battery last night to let it sit overnight and reset.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 AM
That's what she said...

Did you plug the O2's into the right spot? Since the front O2 plugs are so far up, I've seen tons of people plug them into the rear O2 connectors on the harness, then screw them in the front O2 bungs on the headers.

If that's correct, and you can't find anything else, I'd just drive it some more. My friends car ran like **** after I put his Kooks/catted y on. I knew it wasn't anything wrong that I did because I'm perfect.

It straightened out after 50-75 miles.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Did you plug the O2's into the right spot? Since the front O2 plugs are so far up, I've seen tons of people plug them into the rear O2 connectors on the harness, then screw them in the front O2 bungs on the headers.
How stupid do I seem? wait no... don't answer.

If that's correct, and you can't find anything else, I'd just drive it some more. My friends car ran like **** after I put his Kooks/catted y on. I knew it wasn't anything wrong that I did because I'm perfect.

It straightened out after 50-75 miles.
I'm afraid to drive the thing it! has no power and it misses like crazy if I give it slightly more throttle to say get over a small hill... the mph just's drops
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 AM
That's what she said...

Is it throwing any codes? It's probably got the SES light on if you didn't do any code deletion, and that could be hiding more codes that might reveal the problem. Gimp that bitch to vatozone and have them scan it. Write down the code number and report back.

Also, when I pulled the heads and changed my lifters and restarted, I had blown a fuse which cut power to a whole bank of coil packs. It idled pretty damn well, but was only running on 4-cylinders. When I'd rev it even a little, it would just go to ****. Check all fuses in the boxes under the hood.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, SES light it obviously on. I'll check into that with my buddies scan tool and I'll check out the fuses. 1 Thing the car did do weird was after I put in new plugs it didn't want to start at all I had to play with the throttle and it finally fired.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its a cracked plug, and i mean a tiny hairline crack. Pull each plug and check them for cracks. Tons of people have done this and didnt believe it was a craked plug but it was. When they crack it wont burn the fuel in the clyinder so the fuel just dumps into the header and explodes there, thats what the loud bang is.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaroz
How stupid do I seem? wait no... don't answer.

I know your very smart and all but people make mistakes.
I have fixed a problem very similar when my friend crossed his O2s (left was on the right and right was on the left).
It never hurts to tipple check...

I guess its also possible that you got a bad batch of plugs (batch as in 1000s from the factory) have you tried putting your old plugs in?

The real indicator here will be the scanner.
If you have a miss fire on a cylinder switch the plug wires around and see if it follows
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did that too, but the problem took a while to show up. In my case, it was a burned through plug wire. My headers were incompatible with the MSD plugs. I kinda doubt that's the case with you though since the car never ran right, and it probably didn't have enough time to burn a wire through yet.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 AM
That's what she said...

If you hadn't said you changed the plugs, I would call it a cracked plug too. I've seen the same symptoms a ton of times, and it's always a plug.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I know your very smart and all but people make mistakes.
Sorry If I came off as to thinking I'm smart but I was being sarcastic I'll admit I'm not the smartest person in the world but just your average guy.

Seriously though... I'll play the O2 game I'll do anything right now. The Left O2 sensor is connected to the left connector inback of the alternator and the right O2 is connected to the right connector next to the starter. I assume this is the correct way? I thought about changing back to old plugs do you think it's worth a try? I'm going to call my buddy and see if I can borrow his scanner.

I appreciate your responses guy's.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 AM
That's what she said...

Did you check the fuses? You paypal me some money later.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check the fuses? You paypal me some money later.
My fuses are fine bitch! you owe me money for wasting my time Anyways I got a video for you guys. in a min

Quick Reply: Problem after headers install HELP