Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Catted Y Hitting Floor Board After Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default HELP Catted Y Hitting Floor Board After Header Install

Just installed Pacesetter Headers, Now Catted Y Pipe Hitting Floor Board Under Hard Acceleration. Should I try to remove Y Pipe and try to bend it about 3 inches or what other options do I have. I heard about motor Mounts But I dont want to go there. Thank for your Help.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motor mounts work! u could put a piece of heater hose in between the pipe and the floor, it stop the banging but i could still feel vibration in the floor. i havent heard of anyone bending the y pipe but sound slike it would work as long as you dont demolish your ground clearance.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You want to get poly motor and tranny mounts. Thunder Racing sells them. There's no reason not to get them.

You should also look at getting the Mufflex Y pipe hanger, Thunder Racing also sell it.

With the above and a bit of readjusting you should be able to get it fit ok. Next step on would be using heat to bend the Y pipe and a BFH to alter the floorpan.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

With a hanger expect additional interior resonance.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

poly motor and tranny mounts make ALOT of interior noise and vibration, i use poly motor mounts and filled the gap in the stock tranny mount with a cheap caulk. ive heard that y-pipe hanger doesnt work.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have done the poly motor mounts while the exhaust was out, now you're screwed-blued-and-tatoo'd. They don't cause interior vibrations like the poly trans mount, which you don't need to stop the banging. You can take the y-pipe off and flatten it where it's hitting. If it's hitting on the cat, you can't bang on that because the catalyst will come all to pieces.

Unless you can make alot of driver side clearance between the body and exhaust, it's going to hit. I've seen a few people use the hangers and they haven't worked worth a damn.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching!

If you don't want to go the route of the poly motor mounts, the Mufflex is a good solution. I used the Mufflex hanger with my Pacesetter / catted y-pipe install and it works.

To install it get under the car to see where the clearance is the tighest.

Use a pry bar to pry down the y whereever it appears to be hitting and stuff a exhaust hanger rubber in between the y-pipe and the floor at this spot -- this is just temporary.

Install the Mufflex hanger with the rubber hanger still in place, that will ensure that when you tighten up the Mufflex that it keeps the y-pipe away from the floor. When the Mufflex is tight, gently pry the exhaust just enough to remove the rubber.

This complete fixed my banging and there is no interior resonance with the hanger at all -- don't know why you would think it would cause that. It's the same design as any exhaust hanger, just large enough to go over a 3" y-pipe.

Quick Reply: HELP Catted Y Hitting Floor Board After Header Install