Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it for me to switch to TD setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Is it worth it for me to switch to TD setup?

Current mods are in sig, I am running an ORY & Hooker CB. I can get a true dual setup with mandrel bends and magnaflow 14 inch mufflers dome for $400. I figured I could sell the Hooker CB and TSP ORY for a nice chunk of the $400. Question is will the gains be worth the upgrade to TD's? I have read conflicting reviewws on them, some swear they flow better under the curve, some say you won't see enough diff to upgrade. I am already cammed and eventually I will be doing heads. Is it better to have the TDs long term for when I am making more power?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duals are the way to go my friend . With a cam your engine needs to flow and two pipes are always better than one .
Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snake charmer
Duals are the way to go my friend . With a cam your engine needs to flow and two pipes are always better than one .
What kinda gains are to be had? Also do the magnaflow 14 inch mufflers flow well? I knwo their CBs are stout, how bout the mufflers?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a guesstimate but you shoulld see at least 10-20rwhp over what you got and probabally more . With a ported tb and lid with the "cheap" mac headers with no x pipe with bullets and turndowns I put down 347rwhp and 355 torque . This is with a ls1 intake on a 2000 trans am during summer .
As far as mufflers the more expensive flat /square shape chrome magnaflows are the way to go on a dual setup . Basically it is all on how much you want to put into it and drivability in the sense of under the axlle , or dumps before the rear . If you go with dumps your car will smell of exhaust and will be pretty loud .
If it is an everyday driver then opt to go out the back over / under the axle and do not be stingy on the componets . Good mufflers , x pipe , h pipe , bullets , cats even really cool tips can add up but it will all be worth it when you are cruising down the road .
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would love to see a dyno comparison on a few different setups going from a single to true duals.even though it was through a qtp y pipe i only picked up 6 rw on my 408 going through a hooker catback to an open cutout. i've read t/ds pick up quite a bit in the midrange but i am clueless.heck,i may get a set and try them but i'm sure it would be rediciously loud on mine.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow trap
i would love to see a dyno comparison on a few different setups going from a single to true duals.even though it was through a qtp y pipe i only picked up 6 rw on my 408 going through a hooker catback to an open cutout. i've read t/ds pick up quite a bit in the midrange but i am clueless.heck,i may get a set and try them but i'm sure it would be rediciously loud on mine.

I found 1 dyno on here where the guy picked up between 10-20 hp UNDER the curve, all in the midrange. That's why I am interested too, because I have a TR224 cam which is basically in that same band, midrange under the curve.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rue+duals+dyno

Read post #5
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Yes it's worth it, because of scavenging. You might not pick up a whole lot of peak hp, but you will pick up power under the curve, in the form of tq. True Duals will outflow a ypipe setup, so you're looking at maximizing your exhaust when you go true duals.

Something like the Bassani True Dual kit is very refined. Excellent ground clearance and not as loud as some other kits. Out over the axle and out the back is preferred when running true duals.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm...thats a good price for duals. it will def be a change from hooker to td