Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Your opinions on Headers*

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *Your opinions on Headers*

Its time folks.... I'm wanting SS LTs and am probably going to go w/ either QTP or Kooks. Now, when they say "Racing Style" what exactly is different? Does that just mean its set up to accept an ORY instead of Cats? or what?

Also... for a street car/DD... what size should I get? 1-3/4" or 1-7/8". I'm guessing 1-3/4". I understand that the smaller the header, the more back preasure, which means more low end torque.. but what size would you guys recomend?

One last thing... I'm bad about overkill and since I'm spending this much money on headers, why not some more and get them ceramic coated? I know SS headers wont rust on their own, but getting them coated will keep that much more heat out of the engine bay.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

RACE STYLE has NO EGR/AIR hookups. I have ceramic coated Edelbrock LT's.with egr/air.Coated are cooler and look nice for quite awhile, depending on use/area.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an 02, so I dont have an EGR anyway... Whats "AIR". Sorry
Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is not getting the attention that I feel it deserves :toetap:
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't need EGR go with race style. Air recycles useless air that gets trapped at the top of the intake manifold back into the motor (I believe). Waste of weight and hurts hp. Get rid of it
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIR system is the little tubes hooked up to your exhaust manifolds, one on each side. They point up toward the hood and are held on by two 10mm headed bolts, per side. AIR pump (under the driver headlight) pumps air into the exhaust stream to help heat the cats faster and meet emissions light off faster.

AKA Junk

Get the race style, then have the AIR/EGR/Rear O2 codes deleted so your SES light won't come on. You'll have a cleaner engine bay, less weight, and no possibility for the bungs blowing off the header tubes.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

I will hook you up dan. Race style just means that they have no AIR hook up on the header itself, if you go with race headers you will throw an SES light. You can have it tuned out no prob. As for size, most everyone goes with 1 3/4. I have 1 7/8 KOOKS into a catted Y through a GMMG and have no loss of low end torque, I got a killer deal on them from Scoggin Dickey that I could not pass up, got em a few hundred cheaper than the smaller diameter. As for the ceramic coating, it helps a smidge for heat but nothing that is gonna be extremely noticeable. I am going with a ORY with my KOOKS so if you go with KOOKS and want a catted Y to go with your GMMG lemme know
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The AIR system is the little tubes hooked up to your exhaust manifolds, one on each side. They point up toward the hood and are held on by two 10mm headed bolts, per side. AIR pump (under the driver headlight) pumps air into the exhaust stream to help heat the cats faster and meet emissions light off faster.

AKA Junk

Get the race style, then have the AIR/EGR/Rear O2 codes deleted so your SES light won't come on. You'll have a cleaner engine bay, less weight, and no possibility for the bungs blowing off the header tubes.
there you have it... i enjoy reading your post blur. i often find you as the
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by dpw41285
there you have it... i enjoy reading your post blur. i often find you as the
Just spreadin' the knowledge. I learned it on here, now I like to pass it on.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much folks for you are the plethora of LS1 Fbody knowledge

Now.... catted Y? or ORY? I'll probably be getting one of those solenoids that tells the computer everything is ok (forgot what its called)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Blur, I have got to ask its been bothering me everytime I see you post. You put that e in there on purpose right?

O2 sims, but just save yourself some trouble and get true duals
Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM
That's what she said...

Yes the e is on purpose lol, it's italicized if you didn't notice.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

But i dont want true duals. How would that save me any trouble? Its a lot more money, more of a PITA, and I just recently bought a GMMG exhaust. I find going the TD route would be very troublesome
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Catted-y sounds better, there will be less rasp.

Also it's not about backpressure, it's about exhaust gas velocity. A larger primary might lose some of the exhaust gas velocity, thereby making less torque and power. But with a smaller primary, the velocity will be up, thereby making more torque.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

what E are you talking about
Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
But i dont want true duals. How would that save me any trouble? Its a lot more money, more of a PITA, and I just recently bought a GMMG exhaust. I find going the TD route would be very troublesome
Have you considered the Bassani True Dual exhuast? It's much more refined that a typical True Dual system. Good sound, not too much volume, and good clearance. Just another option for those who think true duals are a pain in the ***.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lsx24
Catted-y sounds better, there will be less rasp.

Also it's not about backpressure, it's about exhaust gas velocity. A larger primary might lose some of the exhaust gas velocity, thereby making less torque and power. But with a smaller primary, the velocity will be up, thereby making more torque.

Thanks I always thought that the catted Y was a big no-no... but after reading a lot in here, it sounds like its the better way to go w/ minimal power loss, especially on a DD.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lsx24
Have you considered the Bassani True Dual exhuast? It's much more refined that a typical True Dual system. Good sound, not too much volume, and good clearance. Just another option for those who think true duals are a pain in the ***.

No exhaust over the axles, no care. And plus, like I said, i just sunk like $800 or so into my GMMG and i love it.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
No exhaust over the axles, no care.
Do you mean you like, or don't like, over the axle? The bassani is over the axle...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, i want it over the axle... Now that I think about it, iv heard the bassani and it sounded like a truck. I hated it actually.