Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about mufflers for true dual setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about mufflers for true dual setup

hey guys, i've really been thinking about switching to a TD setup, but, i have some questions first (yes, i read the sticky's and searched around).

currentyl i have flow tech LT headers and Y pipe, SLP high flow cats, and a GMMG cat back. i LOVE how my car sounds. but.... the idea of true duals really has me thinking. my question is....

I read the stickys, and i saw what mufflers are normally used for a TD setup. if i'm having a shop custom fab a TD setup, would it be a good idea to use the mufflers from the GMMG? i know its possible, but, would i want to do this? sorry f this is a stupid question in some way *flame suit on* lol, i'm just trying to learn. so if this is a bad idea, if someone could explain why i'd appreciate it.

i was thinking about getting old stock gets, gutting them and putting a tube inside them, (just so i stay sorrta legal, lol), and then keeping my flow tech headers, not sure on the X-pipe yet, and running the GMMG mufflers and dumping before the axle.

how does this sound? bad idea? performance wise, i dont expect alot here, but, as long as it sounds better then my old setup and doesnt perform any WORSE.

oh, not sure how much it matters, but, it is on a H/C car, making about 400rwhp.

sorry for this long post, thanks for any help, and dont be too brutal on me, lol, just trying to learn.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

In order to use your GMMG resonators, you'll have to cut up the GMMG exhaust. Then piece together the resonator inline with your TD system. It's possible but you'd have to make sure that's what you want because you wouldn't be able to go back easily without some welding. Any competant muffler shop should be able to do the job.

Have you considered the bassani True Dual Exhaust kit? It's a full piece kit that goes up and over the axle. IT's very refined and has great ground clearance. Cost is around $960. Just another option you can run for true duals.

You're probably aware that dumping before the axle is going to be loud! There are going to be lots of vibrations, and it will be louder than your GMMG is now.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

get some classic chambered powersticks from EAD Performance. They are a similar design to the GMMG mufflers but should flow better. Also, if you wanna go 3" instead of 2.5" like the GMMG, they have the mufflers in that size too
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Launching!

thanks. i looked at the powersticks, they look like my GMMG's do. hmm... i'll probably just do that. that way i can sell the GMMG too. any other ideas?

i guess i'll call EAD and ask them if they recommand any certain X-pipe.

but yes, lol, i'm going for loud and deep with this exhaust. after another cam swap and the dumped duals i want the car to sound like the world is about to end, lol. thats why i'm trying to go with gutted cat's and dumped duals.

any other opinions on this? my flowtech LT's down to these powersticks with an x-pipe and gutted cats? i just dont want to do my exhaust only to find out after its done that it was thought out poorly. does this sound ok? or am i missing something?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stokedporcupine
any other opinions on this? my flowtech LT's down to these powersticks with an x-pipe and gutted cats? i just dont want to do my exhaust only to find out after its done that it was thought out poorly. does this sound ok? or am i missing something?
Overall sounds like a good combination. You want to make sure the xpipe is a volumetric xpipe, like the Dr.Gas xpipe. Some are better than others. Since you are hollowing out the cats, it'll smell a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also mandrel bends of course for all transitions. With those mufflers on there and a good xpipe it will work great with your long tubes and be overal an awesome performing exhaust. EAD knows their stuff, they are a good shop to contact.