Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with my car????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with my car????

well i got in my car and moved it so I could put my cap on my cutout and when i got back in it to leave it wouldnt start. Its turns over but wont start. I noticed when I try to start it the gas gauge falls. And when my car wasnt running the oil gauge was sitting on 40 then I try to start it and it falls to zero intill I stop trying to crank it ? I checked all the fuses none are blow. This really sucks I just got a new pcm put in like a month ago.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no mechanic... but would this be a fuel pump issue?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
I'm no mechanic... but would this be a fuel pump issue?
sounds like it.......
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Your gauges are pretty much irrelevant unless the car is running. It could be a number of things, first you need to start with the basics, figure out if you're getting spark/fuel. You can check this by removing plug wire from a plug(keeping it plugged into the coil pack) putting a long screw driver in it without damaging it, you just want it to fit inside and touch metal. Crank on it while a friend watchs the screw driver to see if it sparks, may take a few cranks for it that one to spark. If you are getting spark, then you're problem is fuel. Could be a fuse... fuel pump, plenty of things. Did you get the new PCM flashed and programmed to your VIN? This could be the stem of your issues although in most cases if you don't do this, the VATS system locks you out and you can't even crank the motor over.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for fuel pump. how often do you run your car to nearly empty? FWIW, you should never, ever under any circumstances run your car below a quarter tank of gasoline. keeping your gas tank filled both cools the fuel pump and causes it to suck less air and in turn work less. nothing is worse for your fuel pump than making it suck air and sediment from the bottom of a near empty tank, and nothing makes it run hotter.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
+1 for fuel pump. how often do you run your car to nearly empty? FWIW, you should never, ever under any circumstances run your car below a quarter tank of gasoline. keeping your gas tank filled both cools the fuel pump and causes it to suck less air and in turn work less. nothing is worse for your fuel pump than making it suck air and sediment from the bottom of a near empty tank, and nothing makes it run hotter.
While I'm not dissagreeing w/ you (b/c frankly, i dont really know).... Iv heard many people say this is false. As long as fuel is being pumped through the pump, its fine. Whether it has low fuel or not, its still pulling fuel through. I could be wrong, but I kind of agree w/ this considering im still on my stock fuel pump (knock on wood) after 4+ years and 125k miles and many many many many many times of running it waaaaay low. Once, i refilled and put 16.3 gallons in the tank. Not saying you're wrong... just sayin...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
While I'm not dissagreeing w/ you (b/c frankly, i dont really know).... Iv heard many people say this is false. As long as fuel is being pumped through the pump, its fine. Whether it has low fuel or not, its still pulling fuel through. I could be wrong, but I kind of agree w/ this considering im still on my stock fuel pump (knock on wood) after 4+ years and 125k miles and many many many many many times of running it waaaaay low. Once, i refilled and put 16.3 gallons in the tank. Not saying you're wrong... just sayin...
the gas in the tank keeps the fuel pump cooler. that's why cars that run their tank low are known to burn up their fuel pump. remember, gas is also impure and sediment that is in it collects over years on the bottom of the tank. the fuel pump, when the tank runs low, sucks all this sediment. back last year when katrina hit and fuel prices skyrocketed, auto shops were seeing a 25% increase in tuneups because people were running their tanks to E and clogging their fuel filter. i saw a piece on my local news channel. a guy wrung out a fuel filter and water and dirt came out. it was something nasty for sure. remember, every time you run your tank to E, you're sucking all that garbage into your fuel filter and burning up your fuel pump. you're gonna fill up anyway, you may as well do it before a 1/4 tank.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok
Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thats Right Bitch! Whos Your Daddy! Huh? Choco Is! What Now!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
Thats Right Bitch! Whos Your Daddy! Huh? Choco Is! What Now!

i don't know about owned...he wasn't being argumentative or anything he's okay in my book, i didn't have to bring out the big guns

Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Pirvate Joker! Do You Beleive In The Virgin Mary? Well Do You?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

my mom burnt up the pump in her 03 sonata. she is notorious for letting the needle hang lower than ron jeremy's dick. her car has 55k miles on it. mine has 57 and still ticking. i never let it go past 1/4. most of the time i fill up on 1/2 empty.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
That's what she said...

I never rock out with more than 1/4 tank of gas. 7lbs per gallon is too damn heavy....

The burnt fuel pump is a possibility. Try turning the key on and listening for the pump to come on, if it does, we can move on to something else.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Resident

the best way to find out of you have a fuel pump problem involves 2 people. turn your key and have someone smack the side of your gas tank. if the car starts up after the smack, your fuel pump is burning out.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

well you need air,spark, and gas to run...then there is that one other thing called timing but check the others first
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well when I turn my key my fuel pump is turning on. And yes I did get my pcm flashed at the dealership when they installed it.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 99Transamls1
well when I turn my key my fuel pump is turning on. And yes I did get my pcm flashed at the dealership when they installed it.
just because it turns on doesn't necessarily mean it's providing enough pressure for the car to start. think of it like an old TV with a blown out cathode tube. when you plug it in, it's still getting power and the "ready" light may come on, but when you hit the power it doesn't start up. again, when you turn your key, have someone smack the side of your gas tank with their hand. see if it starts up then.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check spark yet? To check if you have fueal pressure you can pull the little cap off the end of the fueal rail and press the thing that looks like a valve stem core and see if fuel comes out. careful tho it will spray quite a bit if it does have pressure.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I banged on the side of the tank while someone tried to start it. I will go check and see if there is pressure and a spark. I wonder if it could be the fuel filter?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i took the cap off of the scharder valve and pressed it down with a screwdriver and no fuel came spraying out. Does that mean it is my fuel pump ?