Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my car have problems or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my car have problems or not?

I had a poly tranny mount on my 6 speed car and it was shaking the hell out of the car. I was getting all kinds of vibrations and sounds, including something from my transmission that has/had me worried. If I revved high up to around 4k and shifted from 3rd to 4th, I het a whirring and growling sound like .......... something spinning loosley on a shaft and vibrating/whirrring.

Now, I finally get under the car and change the poly mount to a rockauto cheapy mount and whala...... ALL sounds and vibrations have seaced!? I still have a slight whining noise sitting at a light, I take it from the input shaft, but, my question is, should I be be worried now or not since all the noises I previously heard are gone?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be worried at all. The poly trans mounts do cause some interior noise problems......

...but the real men keep 'em!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personly, I would keep it, but, I would never get a woman in there as it was, and, if I did, I think it would be the last time too. Unfortionalty, I am a little partial to pu tang, and, I ordered three mounts in case it goes out sooner than expected.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 PM
That's what she said...

If she can't handle the rumble in my car, she's definatly not going to live through the one she gets later.

I may put a stocker back on after I get a body mount TQ arm, just to see how much better it is. My shift **** used to go crazy from the TQ arm lifting the trans.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:22 PM
On the tree

My poly does this too, but it is better than th thump, thump, thump the regular mount causes under WOT shifts.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I may put a stocker back on after I get a body mount TQ arm, just to see how much better it is. My shift **** used to go crazy from the TQ arm lifting the trans.
My friend's V6 bird had that problem. We thought it was hilarious, that thing must've jumped up 4-6 inches.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You ever have a disk grinder disk, or, dremel disk for that matter, come loose and vibrate? You get that wobbly whirly growly sound until it spins down????? Thats what I was getting with the poly, never mind the highway driveshaft vibrations lol, which is what has me a little worried and dissapeared when I went back to rubber mount. I just dont know if that is a normal thing people with poly mounts have, or, if it was an early sign of transmisson doom. Does not matter since I am going auto, but, if its on its way out, I would rather pull the trans in one peice now than two later. If its normal, then it would be nice to know just for a PSA and I will enjoy the 6 speed with peice of mind
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
That's what she said...

That sounds like the pilot bearing is going out (or toast) by the way you describe it. I changed my clutch May 05 and there was nothing but DUST where the pilot bearing used to be.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Mine sounds similar to an exhaust leak since putting the poly mount in, but it only started after a few days, it's really loud and gets faster/louder with rpms, I'm wondering if slapping the solid poly mount on there finally made the motor mounts crap out?

James
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shouldnt weaken the motor mounts, is that what they say? I would think that the tranny not being able to move would keep the motor itself from moving also?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

It's kind of got me freaked out, I don't know if there's something wrong with the tranny or the motor, it just sounds like something slapping with the rpms. But I just changed the flywheel/pp/clutch and it's still making the noise, the tranny fluid looked perfect, so I'm not thinking it's that. I doubt it's the motor, I'll just have to find a lift and get it back in the air and take a look I guess, I might go back to a stock trans mount and see if that makes a difference. Cruising at 70 you can't really make out the noise btw, mostly when accelerating.
James
Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have no problems at all as said above. Poly mounts usually decrease the movement of the motor but increase the movement of everything else.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L67toLS1
It's kind of got me freaked out, I don't know if there's something wrong with the tranny or the motor, it just sounds like something slapping with the rpms. But I just changed the flywheel/pp/clutch and it's still making the noise, the tranny fluid looked perfect, so I'm not thinking it's that. I doubt it's the motor, I'll just have to find a lift and get it back in the air and take a look I guess, I might go back to a stock trans mount and see if that makes a difference. Cruising at 70 you can't really make out the noise btw, mostly when accelerating.
James

Maybe you have a engine/manifold leak? That can make a popping/slapping/ticking sound too.