Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting a good seal between LT's and Y-pipe anyone have any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble getting a good seal between LT's and Y-pipe anyone have any tips?

So I have XS Stainless steel headers (famous Ebay headers) and I've been trying to get my Jet-Hot Y-pipe to seal to them. I have 2 band clamps from Thunder Racing on there and the Drivers seals a little better than the passenger but I'm trying to get a good seal because exhaust leaks drive me crazy. Before you ask if there tight I tightened them with a impact wrench .
Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Before you ask if there tight I tightened them with a impact wrench .
dont know what brand impact what size drive or how much psi the compressor is putting out. i would imagine you could prolly snug them down with a half inch breaker bar and cheater. i also heard to put everything together first loosely then tighten them down.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroz
So I have XS Stainless steel headers (famous Ebay headers) and I've been trying to get my Jet-Hot Y-pipe to seal to them. I have 2 band clamps from Thunder Racing on there and the Drivers seals a little better than the passenger but I'm trying to get a good seal because exhaust leaks drive me crazy. Before you ask if there tight I tightened them with a impact wrench .
Take the band clamps off. get some aluminum foil, a somewhat generous amount, fold it to just less than the width of the bandclamp (should be about 1/16th or so of an inch (just over), and wrap it around the connection, then use the impact wrench again to tighten the bandclamps back down. Should provide an airtight seal.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Take the band clamps off. get some aluminum foil, a somewhat generous amount, fold it to just less than the width of the bandclamp (should be about 1/16th or so of an inch (just over), and wrap it around the connection, then use the impact wrench again to tighten the bandclamps back down. Should provide an airtight seal.

I cut mine the length needed to wrap around a 3" pipe, about 9.5", then folded the foil into about 8 layers. Wrap it around at the joint, put the band clamp on that, then go crazy-insane with the impact. High-temp RTV in between the foil/pipe would probably help too.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
MASS seller approved

Put High Temp RTV (the orange/copper stuff) around the pipe that slips into the other pipe. It also makes removal of the pipes a lot easier when you have to remove them.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I'm gonna go with the ball-flange connectors from flowmaster, that should solve all leakage issues. I hope.....Ron
Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

+3 for foil.
havent tried the rtv yet. have to do that when i put her back together next week.