Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advise; Is anyone here running MSD Gen III coils w/Granatelli wires..

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation MSD Gen III coils w/Granatelli wires..

Hi,

I have the Granatelli "0" ohm, "solid core" spark plug wires on my LS6. I now have ordered the MSD #8245 gen III multiple discharge coil packs. The coils are not installed yet. Will this combination together cause any problems. Is anyone here running this setup? I would like to know if the Granatelli wires cause any EMI problems with the MSD coil packs. Thanks.

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-08-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

is there some other sparkplugs that can handle a higher voltage?? why did you upgrade over your stock coils...
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure if i'm ok with the MSD coils and the Granitelli solid core wires, thats what i'm trying to figure out with this post. I am no longer worried about the spark plugs heat range. Hopefully, someone with the same setup will have the answer.

As for why the coils? I have used MSD coils and control boxes in all of my prior cars. I can 100% absolutely say that i gained noticably quicker starts, noticably crisper throttle response, and most important, once installed, they ended up burning all of the left over gas remaing in the cylinder, which got rid of the dreaded exhaust burble on de-accelleration that i was experiancing. That alone was worth the price of admission to me... Though some guys will say that they love that sound!

It's funny though, how you will see folks around here quick to judge these coils due to being too expensive, and not worth any HP, and say that they are a waste of money.. Well, they are not a HP mod, and they don't claim to be one..... They are, however, a driveability mod, as they do offer the benifits as mentioned above. Too bad the negativity on them.

These coils are a first for the LSX. As they are a cross between a Blaster coil & a Multiple Discharge Box... Thus are Multiple Discharge Coils. Of course, a MSD box goes further and adds timing/rev limit controls which the coils alone do not. However, MSD is currently working on a optional timing box that will plug right into the coils 2nd aux harness.

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-07-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

cool i wasnt being negative at all just curious. on the ls1 did it get rid of the unburnt gas in the cylinder? if so i would love to hear a clip of what it now sounds like. i hate that blat on decel. thoose wires you can use with a stock plug and coil, and the msd coils can be used with stock wires and pulg...so i dont see why you cant. i dont have your set up so sorry if you didnt want my logical thinking. Most are haters because of price and no hp gain you are correct.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Don't misunderstand me... I was trying to answer your questions the best way i could. I cannot comment on my current LS6 setup, as the coils are not installed yet. I was commenting on my past MSD equipted cars. Although, in a recent phone converstion with a MSD tech, he stated to me that due to the coils being of a multiple discharge nature, they will burn the remaining gas in the cylinder, and stop the de-acceleration burbbles. You can also have the burbbles tuned out by a knowledgable tuner.

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-07-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have also used msd products on a couple of other cars with great success. so i have them on my 02 ss. the biggest argument against them here has been some dude making over 500hp with the stk coils, hence no need for them. im not claiming they are going to make more power but if they are giving you a cleaner burn, something is happening. all i know is my car idles and accelerates better than it was. good luck with them
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Teching In

>good luck with them

Thanks.. A clean burn will definantly gain you better engine efficiency, which = better mileage as well as increased engine performance. I think the main misconception floating around here on the forum, is that if the stock coils run a 500hp motor ok, then that means it can't run any better with the MSD ones.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

hmm i am intriqued...my stock coils have 85k on them
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I have MSD coils and the Granatelli "0" ohm wires. I havent driven it much, but there doesnt seem to be any problems
Old 02-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

>I have MSD coils and the Granatelli "0" ohm wires. I havent driven it much, but there doesnt seem to be any problems

Well that is good to hear... I called MSD and they were worried about the Granatelli solid core spark plug wires having high levels of EMI. I guess solid core wires are known for emitting high levels of EMI, which in known to cause havock on the sensitive electronics in the engine compartment (including there control boxes etc.).

I then contacted Granatelli, and they said that there wires have a device on them that blocks EMI/RFI emmisions. Granatelli thought i should be good to go.

hey.. Nice car, why no photo of the engine... BTW.. How many miles do you have on this setup, and how do you like it so far? Thanks..

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-07-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Voltage has nothing to do with the coils and wires as
long as they are "good enough". Voltage in the hole
is spark plug gap and cylinder pressure, that's it. The
coil is a constant current thing and voltage does what
it's gotta, for the current to bust out via the high
tension side.

To squash EMI you need either inductance or resistance.
A solid core wire and a ferrite bead, OK; a solid core with
a "device" like a resistor, would be a joke on you. The
spiral core wires are still "solid" but more inductive.
Inductive is lossless while resistive loses spark energy
outside the hole.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Here a link to the wires. Granatelli stands by there claim of no EMI/RFI.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...kplugwires.htm

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

I have less than 50 miles on it. I believe I have NGK tr55 plugs
Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock coils are fine..sounds like you spent some $$$ on something you did not need..there are a lot of very high horse power cars out there running the stock ignition system..the MSD coils would be the last thing that I'd buy in modifing the engine after I had addressed everthing else first..
Old 02-07-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Well there are some high horse power cars running stock exhaust too. That doesnt mean that there is nothing left to be gained
Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

im buying my MSD coil packs as soon as i get my slp MAF

they look cool, but they arent needed for a mildly modded engine (H/C).. but if i was completly loaded i would deff get them...

but since im not im gonna spend my 600 bucks elsewhere
Old 02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

The coils work absolutley great for improving every day driveability.. To each is own... The folks that use them will tell you they work great, because they do... The folks that can't see spending the money to buy them, will say that you don't need them, and they don't work.... and that's the 100% pure truth of it!!

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-07-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not saying they are bad.. i 100% truly believe they are better then stock... but not to many people have them for a reason.. not worth the money... 600 could be used for something better..

its like putting a dana 60 in a bone stock 3.4l camaro...

just wondering what do u drive?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I agree $600.00 is too much. I paid $480.00 delivered. You can always find similar deals like that for them on ebay. Here is a new set for $489.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...spagenameZWD1V
Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock ignition system would fire a piece of wood for a spark plug..you just bought into some hype sir.. if you like RED go for them..but since my coils are relocated and and not viewable I could care less aboput the color..it is a free country and if we were all the same it would be a dull place. There might be some sort of very small gain on a all out race motor application but on DD street car I do not see it.