Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual under or over Tunnel brace/TA kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True dual under or over Tunnel brace/TA kits?

Tried searching (no avail...maybe I'm using the wrong search words?) regarding true dual setups and tunnel brace relocation/TA kits. I did find this link, but this tunnel brace setup is not familiar to me. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=true+dual

Car is lowered, so clearance will always be an issue.

I am going to fabricate a TD exhaust from LT's through hi-flow cats.
I am also going to install a tunnel brace (with DS safety loop) mounted TA (not decided on brand yet).
I will build the TD setup to be 3" inlet x-pipe reduced to 2.5" outlet dual with chambers then over the axle. Will there be enough room for dual 2.5" pipes if I try to fit them over a LT style tunnel brace or would it fit better under a stock exhaust style tunnel brace?

Anyone dealt with this and found a "best fit"?

Thanks in advance....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bumb....

I would prefer to find out B4 I decide on a particular tunnel brace/DS safety loop and then kick myself for getting the wrong one.....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if the TD's will clear with the tunnel mounted TA. however BMR sells a upper panhard rod relocation thing that gives you enough room for 3" TD's over the axle if you want some extra clearance.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I may shoot for the tunnel brace/DS loop combo that is made for LT's. At worst, I can fab the 3" x-pipe so that the exit pipes immediately reverse turn to parallel, reduce to 2.5" pipe, while leaving enough clearance between them for the chambered power sticks. It will be fun either way I guess. If it doesn't look like it will work like I want, I can probably sell the TB/DS combo and get the one for OEM exhaust.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the BMR tq arm on one car with true duals, and the BMR trak pak on the other. I go over the axle, on the TD car and just chunked the tunnel brace. it is a flimsy piece of metal. It does no good really... However I still have a DS safety loop sitting on the floor of my garage, because it will not work with either seup at this time
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most have positioned the x-pipe fairly close to the drop of the cross member so that both pipes go over the crossmember. It's tight, but you can get it to fit.

I opted to make my life much easier and ditch my Spohn tunnel mount TA and go with a traditional tranny mounted torque arm and use the relocation crossmember. This moves the front mount from the tailshaft to the tranny crossmember. This crossmember is far enough forward that the pipes go around it and then there's plenty of room the rest of the way back for the x-pipe and other piping. Kinda the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I should probably tell you that the tunnel mount will not fit true duals...you do not want to go under that brace either....I would high center on flat ground if I tried it.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmm.....brain approaching overload......lol

So, getting an after market TA off of the tranny mount and onto a chassis mount other than a TB/DS loop setup would be THE best of both worlds. Well, my search begins......wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Do you not want a transmount tq arm?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Do you not want a transmount tq arm?
I have read that taking it off the tranny is a better option strength-wise, both for the TA as well as the transmission. However, I am currently running the stock 10-bolt and I do not plan on hooking the rear until I go to a 9", which will be a ways down the road. So perhaps I can save my self some grief and go with a tranny mount TA. I was considering the TB and DS loop to help tie the KBDD subframe connectors together. Is this a mute point?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I always thought that the double diamonds were added weight without the "strength". But to each their own. If you know for sure you are gonna get a 9" I would hold off on the TA. It is gonna take a BFH just to get it to work with it, not to mention getting the thing to fit in there. In that case I would just kiss the TD dream goodbye and look into a good Y setup. I run the Trak Pak (which is tunnel mount) on the 12 bolt, and there is definitely less shock on the transmission that way. I can't really feel it when I take off in the A4 vs the M6 that has the trans mounted TA. Either way. Getting rid of the stock TA is a monster improvement.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good points. I got the KBDD's on a killer deal 4 years ago (welded in) I guess the TD "dream" is the old dude muscle car part of me (I've owned a few 70's BB Mopars in the late 70's and early 80's) wants that deep tone, no rasp sound.

I guess I could try a nice 3" chambered power stick in the I-pipe and run that over the differential and split out into a two 2.5" with shorty chambers into the twin tips.

I just gotta have tone AND flow from the long tubes for when I bump the motor with the H/C later this summer. I didn't want to have to spend the $ twice.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Use a tranny mount torque arm and get the relocation. The relocation is just a tranny crossmember with the front torque arm mount on it. Yank, BMR, and UMI make relocation kits. It'll take the pressure off of the tailshaft, give you a very solid front mount, and give you the clearance for the true duals.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ooooh. That's nice. I could just trash the tunnel brace completely and still mount the TA/DS assembly to a new tranny mount. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what i did and my car is lowered as well