Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know it's been asked like 1000000 times... But...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I know it's been asked like 1000000 times... But...

I have a couple of questions.

I found a set of ceramic-coated Hookers, picking them up Wednesday.

#1) How hard are these going to be to install? I have jacks, jack stands, most hand tools (basic and not-so-basic), and a good set of helping hands. Should we (helper is a well educated, full time mechanic, but he mostly works on 18 wheelers) be able to do this ourselves?

#2) What problems should we expect OTHER THAN tight fitment?

OK, about exhaust sound... I am planning on true duals out the rear with 3-Bolt flanges before the axle to allow swapping to dumps if desired.

I'm planning on doing UNDER the axle. The exhaust shop that is going to do the work (Old Man Clanton's place, now called "Thumpers") said they can do it and it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to ask here first.

#3) I want a deep sound, not a loud, raspy snarling sound. It may be corny, but I'd like it to sound something like Eleanor in the newer Gone in 60 Seconds. (Specifically the shot right before "The Jump" where he is crossing the bridge...) I know Eleanor probably had a BB Ford in her, but I just don't want my car to sound like... well... it has a LMII on it. I can deal with a little HP loss to get the desired sound.

#4) I have a date with a tuner coming up. If we do the headers before that, can I go ahead and remove the cats without MAJOR driveability issues?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

imo if you want deep and not raspy you will prob need some cats on there
Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

You can remove the cats for True Duals, that is ok. But you might want to run an h-pipe, or no crossover. An xpipe is going to be a little more exotic sounding, but an xpipe will give you a few more hp. It's up to you, do you want the sound (hpipe), or the horsepower (xpipe).
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want deep and no rasp I would prolly go with 1 chamber flows
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking about (My GOD I can't believe I'm saying this...) 2 Chamber flows and an H-Pipe.

Isn't the THE mustang exhaust setup??? Of course, I'm trying to emulate a mustang-type sound...

Is that wrong, cuz I threw up in my mouth a little just typing it...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
If you want deep and no rasp I would prolly go with 1 chamber flows
I thought about single chambers for more volume...

Your car is very nice looking! Makes me happy in pants!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts on running a set of Bullets before the 3-bolt flanges AND a set of Flows??? That way if I do open the exhaust up, it will still have at least a little muffler on it!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody else???
Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

taco i thought your car was already modified
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Taco
I was thinking about (My GOD I can't believe I'm saying this...) 2 Chamber flows and an H-Pipe.

Isn't the THE mustang exhaust setup??? Of course, I'm trying to emulate a mustang-type sound...

Is that wrong, cuz I threw up in my mouth a little just typing it...

rofl @ this
Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of questions.

I found a set of ceramic-coated Hookers, picking them up Wednesday.

#1) How hard are these going to be to install? I have jacks, jack stands, most hand tools (basic and not-so-basic), and a good set of helping hands. Should we (helper is a well educated, full time mechanic, but he mostly works on 18 wheelers) be able to do this ourselves?
Yes most certainly

#2) What problems should we expect OTHER THAN tight fitment?
Maybe the block tab, but that's not universal. The dipstick gave me some trouble (4hrs worth )

OK, about exhaust sound... I am planning on true duals out the rear with 3-Bolt flanges before the axle to allow swapping to dumps if desired.

I'm planning on doing UNDER the axle. The exhaust shop that is going to do the work (Old Man Clanton's place, now called "Thumpers") said they can do it and it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to ask here first.

#3) I want a deep sound, not a loud, raspy snarling sound. It may be corny, but I'd like it to sound something like Eleanor in the newer Gone in 60 Seconds. (Specifically the shot right before "The Jump" where he is crossing the bridge...) I know Eleanor probably had a BB Ford in her, but I just don't want my car to sound like... well... it has a LMII on it. I can deal with a little HP loss to get the desired sound.
1chambers or spiral flow bullets (been told that my spiral flows have a flowmaster-esque sound to them, clip in sig). I must say that if I didn't have these, 1-chambers would be first on my list.

#4) I have a date with a tuner coming up. If we do the headers before that, can I go ahead and remove the cats without MAJOR driveability issues?

Thanks in advance guys!
Yes, it will run better without the tune, but just running without cats will give you a code for the rear 02 sensors, which wont inhibit driveability. Good luck.

-J
Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hijack TACO,but would it make a noticable sound change if I swaped the sweet thunder mufflers for some flows?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, thanks the the replies guys!

First of all, my car is "modded" but I ran out of money on the engine build and couldn't afford to properly finish it. I have only driven it the last couple of months to hopefully keep anything from getting hurt. I have the headers, 42# injectors, and a bigger cam ready to install and be tuned. Hoping for some decent numbers.

The answer I seem to get the most is to go with single chambers and an H-pipe, so that is where I am headed. As long as it is possible, the mufflers will be behind the axle, so hopefully, if I don't like the sound, they will be fairly easy to swap.

I am going to try to tackle the header install later this week. What should I do with my O2's to keep them from getting fried driving to the exhaust shop with open headers???

Also, would it be feasible and "OK" to have a set of bullets BEFORE the 3-Bolt flanges under the car, where if i do unbolt the exhaust, it will still have some tone to it???

I think that may also quieten the exhaust enough to suit my needs.

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

Bullets don't really quiet the exhaust down a whole heck of a lot, they seem to add unnecessary weight. But they do help a little bit. I wouldnt worry about them, they probably won't make much of a difference when you are going to run flows on there. You can drive with open headers, just don't floor it. And don't drive too long.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking more for when the rear section is off the car.

The little bit of extra quietening when the rear section is on will just be an extra benefit.