Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to doing an air lid...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got around to doing an air lid...

aside from SFC's, LCA and PHR, this is the first thing done to my car as far as anything under the hood is concerned, and the first thing I've actually done myself (I can't weld, and I paid somebody else to do the lca's/phr because i don't have a lift :o )

I must say, for all I've seen about how long it takes, it took maybe 20 minutes after all is said and done... only took about 3 to get the MAF out of the stock lid, and 30 seconds or so for the IAT, and another 20 seconds for the air tube... all in all, 100% successful mod, and after having the car 6000 miles, I can certainly tell a difference in it's attitude .... of course, having the SS hood, I realized that there was a lot more junk in the paper filter that I had than I probably needed, so I used a K&N filter since it came with my lid ... all popped right in, no rubbing, no other issues... I should have done it far sooner than I had, because it had been sitting in my bedroom for who knows how long (4 months or so I bet) .... I was going to start doing my ripper shifter, but the little screw on my e-brake handle is stripped and I didn't feel like ******* around with it much .... but that's next once I find a screw that will fit it (any suggestions? )

the only thing bad that I had noticed, is that there is a seal on the stock airbox that looks like an oval... it looked shredded, and all of the bits and pieces ended up on the MAF screen (mesh looking thing) so I assume that wasn't making my car any happier either... anyone else ever run into that when changing out the stock air lid?

will try to get pics of it later, but not sure if my camera is charged or not.

now i just have to decide on exhaust vs. shocks/swaybars (and brakes)
Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Exhaust FTW!!!!

I did the lid first one week; followed that with the catback the next week. Felt like a new car;it reved up faster & pulled harder.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

exhaust!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i still have my catback to put on but I want to do headers/y as well...

unfortunately, i need brakes, and really think I should replace my shocks and swaybars because the bushings on them all are cracked to hell and about to come off in pieces they're so dry
Old 02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has to start somewhere, good luck on future mods!

I've never removed my e-brake handle, and I've had that damn center console out at least 20 times. You just remove all you can, then pop the little clicker with a screwdriver so the handle will go vertical. Main console will slide right off of it.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Everyone has to start somewhere, good luck on future mods!

I've never removed my e-brake handle, and I've had that damn center console out at least 20 times. You just remove all you can, then pop the little clicker with a screwdriver so the handle will go vertical. Main console will slide right off of it.
we'll see tomorrow how it goes, have until 3 to do whatever I can.. just don't want to tear it... the lower console I don't care about because I'm replacing it with a new one because my cup holder broke off... if its safe enough to do without taking the handle off I'll do it I guess.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

intestering choice doing suspension before performance. unless you auto cross id say do more performance before you do more suspension.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ripper415
intestering choice doing suspension before performance. unless you auto cross id say do more performance before you do more suspension.
in my experience, and opinion, ensuring you have a suspension that can handle what you can throw at the car comes before throwing power into a suspension that can't ... rearend included if it comes down to it...

people seem to do some things backwards sometimes.... honestly, in knowing what the tolerances for the stock components are ahead of time, there are just some things to do first ... the rear suspension, shocks, springs if you like them, and sway bars tend to be the weaker links ...

not saying that i'd not like to do the performance, I'm just doing what makes more sense to me in the long run...

granted, a lid, a catback, and even headers/y-pipe are on the list (I don't have headers/y-pipe just yet), but now that I've got the lid on, and the GMMG awaiting install.... I can go either way. I'd love to be the person with the money to do heads/cam right off the bat, and sure, I could have skipped my catback that I got at a GP rate, my sfc's, adjustable phr and lca's, my shifter and even the air lid, to go that route...

but thats just me.... few things at a time here and there, my car is a daily driver, and I've got preservation in mind, preventive maintenance, and even regularly schedule maintenance (like brakes, shocks, etc) .... just doing what I can

I love a load of power, but experience and reading others' experiences, leads me to believe there are many things that should come first before wanting to put down 500hp and having nothing to back it up
Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Everyone has to start somewhere

<--------- Cam, then bolt-ons.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
<--------- Cam, then bolt-ons.

i want to save for headers/y-pipe ... but realistically, I need to do the brakes and shocks/struts before anything else, then sways, then maybe look into the headers/y

after that, anything is game... but I have a feeling, I'll be buying major front suspension parts and then dropping everything up front when I do heads/cam so I can just do it out of the car, since i'll be doing a tubular k-member/a-arms and the wonderful world of poly engine mounts...

basically means, long term funding for long term part storage
Old 02-14-2007, 05:37 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can head and cam a car without removing the motor.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
aside from SFC's, LCA and PHR, this is the first thing done to my car as far as anything under the hood is concerned, and the first thing I've actually done myself (I can't weld, and I paid somebody else to do the lca's/phr because i don't have a lift :o )

I must say, for all I've seen about how long it takes, it took maybe 20 minutes after all is said and done... only took about 3 to get the MAF out of the stock lid, and 30 seconds or so for the IAT, and another 20 seconds for the air tube... all in all, 100% successful mod, and after having the car 6000 miles, I can certainly tell a difference in it's attitude .... of course, having the SS hood, I realized that there was a lot more junk in the paper filter that I had than I probably needed, so I used a K&N filter since it came with my lid ... all popped right in, no rubbing, no other issues... I should have done it far sooner than I had, because it had been sitting in my bedroom for who knows how long (4 months or so I bet) .... I was going to start doing my ripper shifter, but the little screw on my e-brake handle is stripped and I didn't feel like ******* around with it much .... but that's next once I find a screw that will fit it (any suggestions? )

the only thing bad that I had noticed, is that there is a seal on the stock airbox that looks like an oval... it looked shredded, and all of the bits and pieces ended up on the MAF screen (mesh looking thing) so I assume that wasn't making my car any happier either... anyone else ever run into that when changing out the stock air lid?

will try to get pics of it later, but not sure if my camera is charged or not.

now i just have to decide on exhaust vs. shocks/swaybars (and brakes)
stay with the stock shocks! anything more agressive for shocks in the rear, you won't get proper weight transfer at the strip.

for the parking brake, that screw is sometimes a rivet. i lost the screw one day putting the slp shifter in my sisters car and called the local gm dealership and f-bodymotorsports and both never heard of a screw being used for the handle that they were riveted in. i have an 02 Z and my sister has a 02 WS6, her's had a screw and mine has a rivet, go figure...
f
or brakes, i'd go with brembo drilled rotors. i use them (yes a lil pricey) and the lasted 40k miles before getting cut. and use hawk pads with them.

for the lca and phr, you could've jacked the rear up and done it yourself and saved $$$.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

Strano Sway bars make a world of difference in handling. So will Konis, but they're not that great for drag racing. PHR, LCAs, poly motor mounts, sway bars, shocks, are all good handling upgrades.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

who says I'm just going to be drag racing?

my stock shocks weren't properly cared for by the first owner, the bushings have all basically dried up and are shot now
Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ripper415
What good is tons of power if all you do is spin the tires? Going suspension first is definitely the way to go.