Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks ORY issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks ORY issue

I put a set of Kooks headers and an ORY on my car a few months ago and have had a ton of issues trying to stop the banging/rattling/etc...

When I installed the system, I had hell getting everything to fit (Kooks headers, Kooks ORY and the SLP center exit exhaust that was an option on 2002 SSs). The headers went in fine, but the y-pipe just wasn't cooperating in lining up with everything. I ended up taking my car up to a local exhaust shop and working with the guy for over an hour to get it set up without cutting/modifying the headers/ypipe. End result was that we got it done, but it was very close to the driver's floor and driveshaft tunnel.

While driving the car with the resulting setup, one of the primaries on the driver side was rattling against the k-member - it only did this on right turns. The Y, on the other hand, would bang all the time under acceleration on both the floor and the tunnel. It banged hard enough that it would set off the knock sensor and pull timing out of the car...

Not acceptable, so on to my next steps:
I notched and filed down a small section of the k-member to alleviate the rattle on right turns. Now for the Y... I purchased the Mufflex hanger for the Y, tried it in various configurations. No luck. I have loosened and adjusted the brackets 5 times now and still can't get it to keep from hitting the floor, although I don't think it is contacting the tunnel anymore.

Is there an issue with the fit of the Y and the '02 center-exit SLP exhaust? Possible that the headers are not angled as they should be (I had never heard of anyone having to file their k-member with these headers)? The entire reason I went with Kooks was because of all the good stories I read about fit and installation ease...that makes me now.

With spring quickly approaching, any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy...

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Me At 1 631 586 9002 Ext 308 Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had problems getting my y-pipe to fit as well. Mine sits real close to the floor boards i think as well. But from what i can tell its not hitting the floor at all on hard launches i have to wait till summer to be able to tell tho. i don't drive the car int he snow. if you have access to a lift can you see anything that would be rubbing?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My catted y is pretty close to the floorboard. I dont think it hits there. But think it taps my SFC's in certain situations.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks For The Heads Up. Good Thing I Read This In Time, I Was Ordering Kooks Lt Headers And The Ory But Looks Like Im Going With Qtp After All.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6RAMAIR79904
Thanks For The Heads Up. Good Thing I Read This In Time, I Was Ordering Kooks Lt Headers And The Ory But Looks Like Im Going With Qtp After All.
Kooks, QTP and nearly every header made have their stories about a bad fitment, bad batch or some other sort of problem that creeps up from time to time. One horror story is not the "end all be all" of a brand. It has more to do with the car they went on then the headers/Y themselves. I've read more issues about QTPs Y-pipe than anything, especially when it comes to ground clearance. If you plan on sticking with a Y-pipe setup, I'd still think about getting Kooks. Going True Duals, then rock the QTPs. FWIW, I have had NO problems with my Kooks setup and I'm still on stock motor mounts, and didn't have to notch or grind a damn thing.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you search you'll find out there are alot more issues with the QTP ORY. Thats the reason im going with Kooks.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

YUP!!! thats why i went with kooks too! Longbeach and i had a bitch off a time puting in my driver side header!!! and i mean it, we where getting mad and pissed off, but at the end it went in and the fitment of the headers and Y made it all worth it at the end. sure it does hit alitle bit when i mash on it but thats to be expected.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont take my post as a negative. They went in easy with no mods other than taking the old stuff out. I think theyre great. The ypipe is awesome.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Please don't take this post as being negative or a bash on Kooks - that wasn't my point at all. I am just trying to get some input from others that may have had some of the same headaches.

I went with Kooks because the fitment seemed to be the best at the time. I have installed or helped install just about every header that has been made for the LS1 F-bodies and the Kooks headers fit great. If I was getting a new set tomorrow, I would get the Kooks again.

I honestly think that something is amiss with the Y in this case (either it was bent at the warehouse, during shipping, something).
Old 02-15-2007, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

As far as seeing what is rubbing - I have had the car in the air about 7 times in total at this point. The only place it is hitting is the driver's side floorpan. It is not rubbing, but banging. It hits under light acceleration (read: 1/3 throttle) and absolutely slams under full throttle.

I can't adjust it anymore without cutting/rewelding. I can't get it any lower than it is. Everything piece of exhaust under the car is locked solid with each other, there is no more adjustability that I can find. This isn't my daily driver, so I'm not worried about ground clearance - I have literally tried hanging from the Y to get more clearance, it just won't do it.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

BTW George - I tried calling you earlier this afternoon but you were in a meeting. Feel free to give me a call in the morning (whomever answered your extension took my name and number). If I don't hear from you I'll give you a ring around lunch time.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sorry kevin I have had some issues arise I will call you tomarrow
Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

My Y pipe would hit the floor and rattle and make all kinds of racket until i just replaced the motor mounts. I put a poly mount on the drivers side and a new stocker on the passenger side. The engine stopped rocking and the pipes quit hitting the floor.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Kooks tuck up under the car almost TOO well. Mine is so close it rattles on the floorboard whenever the clutch chatters.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Also pretty sure QTP used to have their headers made at Kooks.....