Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Conversion Question

Well, my engine is pretty much bare at this point. Heads off, radiator out, power steering and water pump out, all electrical disconnected, intake manifold off etc. 4 of my piston heads have gouge marks in them from downshifting like an idiot and bent some pushrods. I have one head that has definetely 1 bent valve spring because gasoline just runs right out of the bowl in the bottom of the head. Now I'm looking to possibly do as much as I can as a "project" car. What do I need to know before getting LS6 heads? Will I need a LS6 intake manifold too? What kind of headers should I look into? What other parts am I going to need and know about before going about this. Also adding a new cam probably a 228/228. Will I need different size pushrods, lifters, rocker arms? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the mechanics of the LS1's so any help much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Check out LS1howto.com
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 228/228r is a nice cam from what I hear. the ls6 heads should bolt right on but you may wanna port them or something. upgrade the pushrods springs rockers, just everything now while its all tore down.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

upgrade the pushrods not change size, you can use a ls1 intake on the ls6 heads but if your buying a cam ues do it (i would prolly would have already added the ls6 intake befor buying a cam) and yes some nice port work on thoose 243 would be great! throw on a underdrive pulley and oil pump while your there
Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Halloran
Well, my engine is pretty much bare at this point. Heads off, radiator out, power steering and water pump out, all electrical disconnected, intake manifold off etc. 4 of my piston heads have gouge marks in them from downshifting like an idiot and bent some pushrods. I have one head that has definetely 1 bent valve spring because gasoline just runs right out of the bowl in the bottom of the head. Now I'm looking to possibly do as much as I can as a "project" car. What do I need to know before getting LS6 heads? Will I need a LS6 intake manifold too? What kind of headers should I look into? What other parts am I going to need and know about before going about this. Also adding a new cam probably a 228/228. Will I need different size pushrods, lifters, rocker arms? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the mechanics of the LS1's so any help much appreciated.
What year is your car? 2001+ already have the LS6 intake (not that it's needed, but it makes more HP).

Personally I wouldn't bother with LS6 heads, the gains are minimal.

You should be able to buy a new cam and install kit, this will include pushrods and springs. If you combine it with a new set of heads then you could get all you need in one hit.

I'd take a look at Texas Speed & Performance, they offer some great deals.

Their stage 1 PRC heads are certainly worth looking at. The also offer some great cams, depending on what you want you may decide to go bigger. The torquer V3 matches up really well with the PRC S1 heads. You would be advised to ensure you have the LS6 intake and LT's to make the most of the setup though.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

I've got a 99 WS6 M6. We're pulling off the front of the engine today after spending about 2 hours yesterday screaming at the radiator to break loose of it's AC Condenser tabs. We finally got it out and opened up the engine bay quite a bit. So you're saying stay with LS1 heads but get an LS6 intake, 228 cam (or comparable), new underdrive pulley and I should be set?

thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

If you can afford it, buy a set of ported heads, whether it be LS6's or 5.3's. I'm willing to bet more than just one valve of yours is bent and even if it isn't, you're going to need a valve job. Factor that in and the price of new heads isn't all that bad. Sell your old heads on eBay, along with your LS1 intake to get some money back. Just don't put it back together stock. You will not be happy with it!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

With a car that has 140k miles on it should I also do a new timing chain?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Halloran
With a car that has 140k miles on it should I also do a new timing chain?
Anytime you do a cam job, unless it's nearly a new chain, you should replace it. A good idea to upgrade it too, an LS2 timing chain is a decent upgrade (it is a heavy-duty version) that is really cheap.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Would I need an LS2 under drive pulley too if I did a new chain? I'm not sure if the LS2 chain would matchup with the LS1 under drive pulley...