Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header bolts

After installing a pair of pacesetter headers I have developed a leaky header isssue (only on the drivers side).I can tighten them up but after a 30 to 60 min run they start to tick agian.I know about stage 8 bolts but want to know how much of a pain in the rear they are to install and remove.Also I have worked in a manufacturing plant that required locking fasteners(aircraft grade) which used a two sided washers with serations running the oppisite direction from each other.These things are cheap and can be had online for about 2-8 $ per 50 even for stainless(nor-lock).Anyone use these?I have the factory bolts installed with new gm gaskets. Why spend $50 if you dont have to!In the mean time Ill pick up some nor-locks and give them a try.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other option is to get exhaust studs, and then use K-nuts (jet nuts) on them. This would be very reliable, and would be right the first time.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by truglow
After installing a pair of pacesetter headers I have developed a leaky header isssue (only on the drivers side).I can tighten them up but after a 30 to 60 min run they start to tick agian.I know about stage 8 bolts but want to know how much of a pain in the rear they are to install and remove.Also I have worked in a manufacturing plant that required locking fasteners(aircraft grade) which used a two sided washers with serations running the oppisite direction from each other.These things are cheap and can be had online for about 2-8 $ per 50 even for stainless(nor-lock).Anyone use these?I have the factory bolts installed with new gm gaskets. Why spend $50 if you dont have to!In the mean time Ill pick up some nor-locks and give them a try.
i think i used the stock header bolts and haven't had a problem yet and have 40k miles on them. maybe the manifold flange is bowed slightly?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my pacesetter headers in today and will be putting them on this week. Probably go with the stage 8's. Hope it works good.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search!!.... Theres a long thread on this that can answere all your Qs.