Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimal catch can/breather arrangement for my setup?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Optimal catch can/breather arrangement for my setup?

I'm getting some detonation and oil consumption which is annoying, so it's time to stop that. Currently, I have the LS6 PCV conversion which goes to the TB. I have the driver's side VC blocked off, the rear of the pass. side VC blocked off, and the front of the pass. side VC running to my TB for fresh air. The question is, what would be the optimal breather or catch can setup for my application here? I have been toying with the idea of a remote breather setup but am just unsure of how I would route it all and what would be the best way to eliminate all of the oil consumption. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mike Norris Catch can that was made by ZoomZ. They are working on producing a catch can with a breather on top, if they havn't made it yet. That sounds like it would be perfect for your set up.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

home depot home-made catch can works great and only cost $40 in parts
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
home depot home-made catch can works great and only cost $40 in parts
yes it is a great way to do a catch can cheaply. He could also get a metco breather for the oil cap to vent the crankcase.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much are the Metco breathers?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
yes it is a great way to do a catch can cheaply. He could also get a metco breather for the oil cap to vent the crankcase.

true, as long as you don't add one of those breathers that you can put a T adaptor and stick in the pcv hose, b/c i did that and had a crappy idle until i covered it up with my hands so off it went. i was looking at the screw in breather from speed inc.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:29 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got tired of fighting oil too. I have a metco breather, but if I did it again, I'd buy another oil cap, drill a hole in it, then stick in an autozone breather.

Remote breather setup would be sweet too. I'd want to have at least 2 3/8" vent lines running to it though. Probably the one from the LS6 PCV and one from the front of the passenger side valve cover. You delete the fresh air tube with a breather setup.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

does that really work?!!...can you really just simply drill a hole into the oil cap and add an auto-zone, pep-boyz...or whatever breather?!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
does that really work?!!...can you really just simply drill a hole into the oil cap and add an auto-zone, pep-boyz...or whatever breather?!
Yessir. If the stock fill hole wasn't so big, you could just pop one in there. I think the standard SBC valve covers have 1-1/4" holes for breathers to pop into, you'll have to buy one and verify though.

I'd buy a paddle bit a little bit smaller than the breather plug in and drill it out for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

****,....I never thought of that! Great idea! I'll give it a shot when I add the catch can next week.

Thanx!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I got tired of fighting oil too. I have a metco breather, but if I did it again, I'd buy another oil cap, drill a hole in it, then stick in an autozone breather.

Remote breather setup would be sweet too. I'd want to have at least 2 3/8" vent lines running to it though. Probably the one from the LS6 PCV and one from the front of the passenger side valve cover. You delete the fresh air tube with a breather setup.
That's where I figured I'd run the lines from. So, I would block off the fresh air from the TB to the pass side VC, then run a line from the LS6 and the front of the pass side VC to a remote breather?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

you're on to something. i never thought aboutdoing that lol... kudos!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
you're on to something. i never thought aboutdoing that lol... kudos!!!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
****,....I never thought of that! Great idea! I'll give it a shot when I add the catch can next week.

Thanx!
I didn't think of it, another member did. I was slapping myself for paying $50 for a Metco.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/624827-easy-cheap-breather-solution.html

Running a catch can and a breather at the same time is worthless, and actually detrimental. The point of the PCV is that it's a closed system. Metered air from in front of the TB blade is pulled into the crank case (fresh air tube). The vacuum of the manifold is the motive force to cause this purge of the crankcase gasses. The problem with running a breather and a catchcan is that air will be pulled in from under the hood, and has not passed through the MAF yet, so it's unmetered. It would almost be like drilling another 3/8" hole in your TB blade.

You can run one or the other, but not both.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

will adding just a breather on the oil cap blow oil all over the engine if under boost?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
will adding just a breather on the oil cap blow oil all over the engine if under boost?
Adding a breather and plugging the rest of the PCV won't blow oil everywhere. It'll have oily fumes coming out, more or less, depending on how worn your motor is, but it's not that bad. Mine probably has more blowby than most people (128k miles), and the oil that comes out isn't that bad. I have probably put 7-8k on the it since I last cleaned under the hood and you can't tell unless you get close.

If you don't close up the rest of the PCV, then you're going to have boost, AND crankcase pressure forcing it's way out the breather, which could cause some more serious engine bay oil issues.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

I might just go with the Home Depot Catch Can then.( I want to monitor how much oil enters the intake) Although my friend would deffinatly be interrested in the breather oil cap idea. I'll mention it to him.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

I used the oil cap that was drilled for the sts returned line and put a fitler in that Worked perfectly
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd rather pay $50 for a homemade breather setup than the couple thousand it took to get the one you got

Search this Thread