Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KOOKS Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation KOOKS Debate

Alright Guys, I've finally decided that Im gonna go with Kooks with a Catted Y over QTP (been thinking and reading for 6 months) Anyways, the old topic of 1 3/4 vs. 1 7/8 primarys. Im going to get the 1 3/4 b/c Im not cammed yet, nor am I procharged (those mods will take place eventually) So my first question is: Is it worth it to get the 1 7/8 now for a non DD with no internal work done provided costs are the same and will I loose that much mid range #'s??
Coated vs. Non Coated: Yes they are SS and yes they are better uncoated but is coated really worth the extra money? Everyone says NO but then again, this is not a DD and is more a show car and the engine has polished parts already so why not get the headers to match.
Anyways.....

Does anyone have any pics of COATED Kooks, and I'd like to see some pics of regular KOOKs after they've gone through some heat cycles (the bronzish color). I can get a good deal on the KOOKs right now through a sponsor but I'd like to see some coated pics and before you all say I did and my search is slow and I dont have a lot of time to sit and wait, plus I didnt come up with any PICS when I did have results. THANKS for trying to help out another member And everyone, please dont bite my head off here! Im just looking for some pics and some feedback!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

If you are planing to get H/C combo and/or procharger i would go ahead and get the 1 7/8's. but you wont gain as much hp as you would with the 1 3/4 because there to big for a stock motor!! but if you are planing to get a big power making head/cam combo then go with the 1 7/8. Also coating Kooks is not worth the money in my opinion, but if you are going for that show car look then go ahead!! what ever floats your boat!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

I think for a H/C car....the 1-3/4 will still be plenty. Now for Boost or bigger cubes I would look into the 1-7/8 or 1-3/4 stepped.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

A couple of GTO people have done direct comparisons between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 with no notable hp or tq differences. One of them, RA7 GTO, was on a MTI 455ci LS1 that only put out around 600 hp at that time. I don't know how much more radical you wanna get...but I know how much more radical Burke got. His car now puts out over 880 rwhp! Here is the thread with the info and comparisons.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=7%2F8

Hope this helps!

Galen
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Buy It Right The First Time
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the 1-7/8" headers, and not have them coated. The coating will turn colors, and crap off eventually, nothing you can do about it. The stainless tubing will stay the same, can be polished, and I think it looks nicer anyway. Stainless exhaust looks more professional to me, coated stainless will look like regular ole' mild steel that's been coated.

I must warn you that with the Kooks 1-7/8's, you will need to jack up the motor for install, and grind a bit of K-member on the passenger side in order for them to fit. It's not that big of a deal, and most headers require a little extra effort other than sliding them in, especially bigger tubed headers.

Plus, everybody and their brother has 1-3/4's.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedbandit
Buy It Right The First Time

Very good advice!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW, Thanks for the responses Guys. Blur- Yes everyone has 1 3/4, but then again, everyone has headers!

I've narrowed it down to unfortunetly 1 3/4 with catted Y uncoated. Im choosing this b/c if/when Im going the FI route, it wont be for a few years but the cam- ah maybe this summer (funds are tight)....
Now my next debate is RACE vs. AIR. I live in NY so passing inspection with a good tune is a necessity. I've talked to NEW ERA PERFORMANCE where Im gonna get my tune done and they say I can have the codes turned off, but Im still wondering if this will infact pass at my mechanics shop. Anymore feedback in regards to which one you think is better?? I've gotta decide by Saturday!

COATED KOOKS down at the bottom of the page
POLISHED KOOKS....mmmmm pretty!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Your polished Kooks link is a pic of my headers. I've had them on the car for a few weeks now and the polished look is holding up very well, actually a lot better than expected. They did turn to the bronze color a bit, but not as bad as most. They actually pretty unique look to them. I really think being polished helps that a bit. Next time I get the car on the lift, I will snap some pics and repost them. Overall, I'm with the results of them. I think you will be very surprised how much HP you actuall pick up when you install the Kooks LT's.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered my Kooks earlier this week and decided on the 1 3/4" X 3" SS race headers and 3" SS ORY. You can see my setup in my sig...which is changing right now btw.

However, I felt (and have read a ton of info) that this would be more than sufficient for what I have now.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone, I'm getting Kooks 1 3/4 x3 with Air fittings and catted-y. I figured that even if I do go with a cam this summer, it will def. be a streetable cam like a 224 and that kinda cam will not have any effects with the flow of the headers so the 1 7/8 is a little overkill I guess, right? Anyways I can always just take them off, sell'em and just buy some new 1 7/8 if/when I get crazy with the procharger. Hell by then I might have a zO6 instead Thanks again people!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone, I'm getting Kooks 1 3/4 x3 with Air fittings and catted-y. I figured that even if I do go with a cam this summer, it will def. be a streetable cam like a 224 and that kinda cam will not have any effects with the flow of the headers so the 1 7/8 is a little overkill I guess, right? Anyways I can always just take them off, sell'em and just buy some new 1 7/8 if/when I get crazy with the procharger. Hell by then I might have a zO6 instead Thanks again people!