Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install- Missfire @ 3000???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Install- Missfire @ 3000???

Just took my car out tonite after installing my headers and puting my new wires in and it runs good. I hear a ticking noise but i think it might just be the header hitting the floor board ccause my driver side tucks up and touches it. When im driving it rides fine i guess but when i hit around 3000 rpms it missfires. Since its soo high in the rpms does this narrow down what plugs it could be?

(also it was running open headers)
Old 03-03-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sickws698
Just took my car out tonite after installing my headers and puting my new wires in and it runs good. I hear a ticking noise but i think it might just be the header hitting the floor board ccause my driver side tucks up and touches it. When im driving it rides fine i guess but when i hit around 3000 rpms it missfires. Since its soo high in the rpms does this narrow down what plugs it could be?

(also it was running open headers)
the ticking sound is an exhaust leak, probably in you y pipe. If it was the hearder it would be vibrating the hell out of it. Check for loose plug wires. Check for cracked plugs. Any codes thrown? Plugs gaped correctly? How many miles on them?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
the ticking sound is an exhaust leak, probably in you y pipe. If it was the hearder it would be vibrating the hell out of it. Check for loose plug wires. Check for cracked plugs. Any codes thrown? Plugs gaped correctly? How many miles on them?

Yah well i dont have a y pipe on it cause its open headers rite now, then will be td's,Im pretty sure there gapped correctly. The plugs and wires are brand new. It is throwing a code but i think its just my MAF, cause its ben doing that on and off every so often and they say somthings wronge with the connection or somthing, then it goes away
Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

but it misfiring so high, doesnt that narrow down what plugs mite be cracked or no?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

nope you get to check em all, you might have cracked the porcelain (sp) puttin the headers back in. check you fuse under the hood...eng sens for blown fuse on the maf
Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the code for the maf sensor?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

im not sur, i just remeber everytime that ses light would come on and i got it checked out, it would be a maf sensor..then in a few hours it would go off it seems.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't assume the current code is your MAF sensor code again. Did you put sims in the rear O2's? If not, it will give you an O2 code. If you're getting a misfire, scanning it should show which cylinder is misfiring. The ticking noise is either an exhaust leak at the header flange or one of the cylinder's spark is grounding out somewhere. Check with the engine running in a dark garage or at night to see if you can spot a cylinder grounding out.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

what do i do if a cylinder is grounded out?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
I wouldn't assume the current code is your MAF sensor code again. Did you put sims in the rear O2's? If not, it will give you an O2 code. If you're getting a misfire, scanning it should show which cylinder is misfiring. The ticking noise is either an exhaust leak at the header flange or one of the cylinder's spark is grounding out somewhere. Check with the engine running in a dark garage or at night to see if you can spot a cylinder grounding out.
+1, yeah check all those
Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ticking =poss exhaust leak. When My headers were installed on SS I had a misfire bigtime. It was because i we were lazy and left the plugs in. Not to mention when we took the passenger side coilpack off one of the wires tore leaving the car running on pretty much 7 cylinders. So repaired the wire,put in some new plugs and good as new. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

If a plug/wire is grounding out you need to replace that plug or wire. If the wire is cracked or burned it will let the spark jump out at the weak point and ground out somewhere on the engine. If you cracked a spark plug when installing them it will do the same thing. It's easier to spot the blue spark in the dark if that's what's happening.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

kkk ill give it a shot, i just whent up to auto zone and the code is a MAF SENSOR. but now as far as it missfiring and poping at my upper rpms or when i get on it? its either my spark plugs or my wires?