Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC mid lengths and MAC ORY?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAC mid lengths and MAC ORY?

Anybody have any experience with these? How do these perform and how would these compare to SLP LT's, performance wise?

I have SLP LTs and I want something different...they hang way too low and I'd like to do a nice suspsension set up, and right now I'm limited to ride height.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made the numbers in my sig with the Mac's...I was pleased.

Overall, I think the Mac's perform quite well even thought they're not LTs.

Clearance is good and ease of install is another plus as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people say not to go to mids from LTs but I hate that I have no clearance to lower it...I'd like to go to the sportlines and there is now way I can do it with the SLPs.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can probably find someone that doesnt plan on it and trade them for their longtubes.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them on my previous car at one time. The gains are real, just not as much as good L-T. Their ORY isn't a great piece, IIRC I had to open it up to 3" at the merge and it is raspy.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

they are a bitch to install
Old 03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought they were easy as hell to install. I made the numbers in my sig with the mac mids. Im actually selling a set right now if you need some. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
i thought they were easy as hell to install. I made the numbers in my sig with the mac mids. Im actually selling a set right now if you need some. Send me a PM if interested.
I agree, I've had mine on and off the car a number of times now.

Switching to LTs as we speak...not because of dissapointment with the Mac's, but just because I'm changing my setup a bit.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marv
I agree, I've had mine on and off the car a number of times now.

Switching to LTs as we speak...not because of dissapointment with the Mac's, but just because I'm changing my setup a bit.

Good luck with your decision!

The only reason i got rid of them was because i wanted somethint different as well. I wanted to get rid of my borla and go with true duals, and that requires either messing with the mids to make the x-pipe fit, or just get some pacesetters. So i took the easy route.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

SLP headers are road dragging crap.

Mac mids have the same performance as 00-02 exhaust manis (leaving cats out of the discussion)

put some coated pacesetters on there if you are tired of your headers, but my suggestion is just not to mess with it..
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what should I do...Will I get more ground clearance with other LTs besides SLPs? Pretty much my main goal is to lower my car as low as possible...with either MIDs or LTs. I would rather stay with LTs but which ones can I buy that will give me enough clearance for a suspension set up as low as sportlines...

Here is a picture of a guy that I know... he has Macs Mids and this is his ride height. I want this ride height with LTs...is it possible?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Some people say not to go to mids from LTs but I hate that I have no clearance to lower it...I'd like to go to the sportlines and there is now way I can do it with the SLPs.
I was told the same about going with mac mids with a lowered car. But in fact you can run LT, just not SLPs. Kooks are what I am going with as soon as I gather all the parts. I am running sportlines and from what I was told from forcefed performance in sac town CA. Go with Kooks, the lowest part of the exhaust is going to be the cats. I ordered macs mids and the company I ordered from sent me the wrong ones, pm me if you want to know I don’t know if they are a sponsor. N E ways the second time they sent me correct year headers, but the air fittings are completely different from the stock settings which would mean plugging them up or getting rid of it. Or if you still wanted to run the air you have to order 2002 air hookups from GM??? Not really sure why that is.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Mac mids and the Y pipe hung pretty low. I got better clearance with my long tube set up.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cop Car
Mac mids have the same performance as 00-02 exhaust manis (leaving cats out of the discussion)

put some coated pacesetters on there if you are tired of your headers, but my suggestion is just not to mess with it..
Man...I really don't think this makes much sense. I have a hard time believing that I could bolt up a set of 00-02 stock manifolds and make the numbers I did in my sig - cats or no cats. That's about the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

You WILL see gains with Mac mids...I've seen too many examples and read too many testaments to this.

My advice to you WhiteSS is do what makes you happy. You will see gains with the Macs. You will be able to lower your car with Macs (mine is dropped as we speak).

Despite the fact that some folks on this board swear up and down that brand XYZ is the greatest brand ever and all others, whether they be Kooks, QTP or Macs totally suck, there are good options out there that will meet your needs.

Good luck with you decision.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

pacesetter headers tuck nicely also, many people have lowered cars with pacesetters. the lowest part of a pacesetter, mac, or any other set up is going to be the drivers side y pipe.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

its been dyno proven that mac mids dont net gain you any hp. the hp gains seen when people switch to mac mids is the replacing of cats. dont take my word for it, do a search.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I'll take some more time and do some more research...I appreciate all the help and responses...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its been dyno proven that mac mids dont net gain you any hp. the hp gains seen when people switch to mac mids is the replacing of cats. dont take my word for it, do a search.
With all do respect, these are absolutly false statements. Macs do have horrible catted Y-pipes compared to their ORY. The difference in the MACs vs LTs is under the curve. You will gain some lower end torque with the LTs, however the difference in top end is hardly even measurable. I suggest you do a search as it has been covered more times than anything else on this forum.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I think you are talking about shorties Cop Car, I know my midlengths helped out. I went from running 13.24 to 12.73 when I changed out my 02' manifolds. No way in hell just cats dropped half a second. I also ran with a catted y-pipe just not at the track. After a cam instal I dynoed 406/392 with MACs and ORY cam only. When I changed to longtubes I also added an underdrive pulley and dynoed 412/392. Same Dyno all SAE corrected. I would almost go as far as to say if I was staying stock internal I would prefer MACs to LTs.

Kirk
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

The Macs are the best bang for the buck. LT's will make a little more power but not that much. Lots of people switched from Mac's to LT's when they first came out and were disappointed that they didn't see big power gains. The Mac's are more a Midlength and do a great job. Just wish they made them in stainless!

Search this Thread