Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to...

Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how hard is it to...

go from stock exhaust to LTs + true duals, and then back to stock? on a 00 ws6. Reason i ask is b/c i when i sell my car, im not selling it with the > $800 i spent on the exhaust system, and also when i sell my car, i will be getting another LS1, so ill just take my LTs and duals off my old car and put it right on my new one. stock exhaust would just go back on the car to sell. just wondering how inconveinent it would be w/ tuning, then untuning, header bolts, gaskets etc....
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you wait until you get your other ls1 that way you aint gotta do all the **** cuz its no hay ride
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

cuz i dont feel like waiting ~ 6 months
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not very hard. Unbolt-rebolt. Fabricating/making **** is what takes forever long.

If you don't have the stock stuff anymore, you can probably get it on here. Was the car tuned for the headers? What are all the mods? If it was just a headers/bolton tune, then swapping back to the stock stuff won't make it run bad, you'll just lose that power you gained from the exhaust.

If I was in your position, I would do the same thing. I actually want a 2002 Black SS. I'll just park it right next to the red dragon and swap everything over.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man, sounds good..
Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

If you are talking about custom duals, they are somewhat of a pain in the ***. That's because of all the custom piping, that will be routed in the car. Depending on who builds it and what you ask for, it will be flanged differently for each setup, or perhaps not flanged at all. That's what will make it a pain in the *** to dissassemble and reassemble on another car.

If I were you, I would wait till you get the other car, even if it is 6 months. Have some patience, then install custom duals on your new car. It will more worth it. It doesn't make sense to mod a car now that you know you are going to sell.

A Cheaper alternative is to get a Magnaflow catback, in the mean time. You can easily bolt/unbolt it, and even sell it when you are done with it. Plus they sound great in a multitude of combinations.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize you didn't have any of the exhaust yet.

If I were you, I'd just put a cutout on it and call it a day. If you're still itching, put a dry kit on her.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said. Exhaust work sucks, especially with no lift. Also, Id soak all the bolts on the stock exhaust down with wd40 or something because they will break. I broke EVERY bolt on my stock exhaust getting it off, except for the head bolts.

Isnt the exhaut pretty much in three pieces? Manifolds, y pipe, and cat back? Have fun getting the stock cat back off without cutting the I pipe. I had to cut mine at the muffler and then again on the other side of the axle.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, to clear things up:

currently i have, stock manifolds, stock y pipe and, shitty flowmaster catback that was on my car when i bought it.....

and to be more specific, im am wanting coated pacesseters, 3 in ORH, and 1 chamber flowmasters, dumped

asking how hard it would be to put that on, then later switch back to my current setup(stock manifolds, stock y pipe and, the flowmaster catback)

am i going to be breaking bolts with taking any of that off? is it possible to just take ypipe and flowmaster off as one piece? dont want to break any stock stuff cuz then i couldnt put it back on and would have to buy it and it would be one big damn mess,

but if all this is not really so hard as people back it out to be(unbolt,rebolt and your done), then ill do it
Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

For 6 months, most of us will tell you (myself included) it's more trouble than it's worth. The average f-body owner (without a lift) will spend an average of 8 hours installing LT's and a true dual system. Getting the car up in the air high enough, working on rusted bolts, pulling the old system off, drilling holes for the true duals hangers, etc. can be somewhat time consuming, even while working at a respectable pace. Assuming you go through with it anyway, I highly recommend using band clamps or it'll be even more of a bitch getting it off the car and back on the new one. But, I still say patience is the better choice...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i definitley agree with just waiting 6 months and getting a cat back or cutout to hold you over. After installing the headers your probley not gonna want to do it for a while. When i took my stock exhaust off i had to air hammer alot of the bolts out, because they stripped so easy.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, might i add that i have never had a truly leak free header install. And, go ahead and kiss your ground clearance goodbye. You might have a little better than i do with my catted tsp y, if you go with duals. I can barely drive over a coke can on its side.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure it would be a pita. I broke 5 of my 6 bolts from my manifolds to the cats. If you did the same thing, you would have to replace each one of those. Also to get the original exhaust of in one piece, well, good luck.

Just wait the 6 months and break everything on it and throw it all away. You might be able to sell your manifolds and cats for a little bit of dough.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the don't bother. Threw codes on my '99 until I eventually sold it about a year ago, it's a bitchy install.

No lift not worth it. Especially if you don't even have the car tuned for the accompanying mod, you don't even get the full benefit without that.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

my buddy owns a tuning business, so no problem there, but i think im still gona wait and just try to make it and few months not like 6

Search this Thread