Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catted with cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catted with cutout?

Anyone running LT headers with cutouts then cats? just curious, I would like to stay catted but like the idea of getting straight header sound/power on demand. I'm not sure if it is doable from the tuning side but I figure running a set of O2s in the collector would be okay right? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

tsp catted y pipe, qtp cutout, tsp rumbler catback,pacesetters long tubes, and 02 SIMS and vette 02s up front
Attached Thumbnails catted with cutout?-picture-100.jpg  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Thats exactly how mine is going in yee haw
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnbooster87
tsp catted y pipe, qtp cutout, tsp rumbler catback,pacesetters long tubes, and 02 SIMS and vette 02s up front
That's not what he asked.

You have lt's, cats, cutout.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bastien
That's not what he asked.

You have lt's, cats, cutout.
I dont care thats still how my cut-out is going in yee haw

That would be one loud bitch before the cats
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dae04383
I dont care thats still how my cut-out is going in yee haw

That would be one loud bitch before the cats

Haha, thanks for the replies fellas.....
Anyone do LTs-----Cutout-------Cats-------(gmmg or t/d can't make up my mind)?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

bumpity bump....I love tech
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey what up everyone? anyone know about running LTs, cutouts, then cats? Am I missing an important concept of why not to do this? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

try it and tell us, apparently nobody knows

i went headers---cats---cutout on my old z28
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

I did it on my old system, which was true duals, but nver with a Y pipe. Personally I like the cutouts after the cats because its very raw and sounds terrible with them before the cats, and they will vibrate you from your seat since they exit right after the headers. Everything in my car would rattle and shack, it was not to fun. IF your doing it for max power and going to rum it only at the track with them oipen, then do it, otherwise I would suggest putting them after the cats. With them after the cats, it tunes the sound just enough where you can run them wide open on the street and have them sound nice. With them before the cats, it was never fun to run them that way, unless I had the E cutouts almost all the way closed.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay that is what I was looking for....makes sense for sure. Might still try it but I'm going think about it for a bit and maybe listen to some more exhausts in person before I move to that. Thanks for the response!
Originally Posted by d james
I did it on my old system, which was true duals, but nver with a Y pipe. Personally I like the cutouts after the cats because its very raw and sounds terrible with them before the cats, and they will vibrate you from your seat since they exit right after the headers. Everything in my car would rattle and shack, it was not to fun. IF your doing it for max power and going to rum it only at the track with them oipen, then do it, otherwise I would suggest putting them after the cats. With them after the cats, it tunes the sound just enough where you can run them wide open on the street and have them sound nice. With them before the cats, it was never fun to run them that way, unless I had the E cutouts almost all the way closed.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

IF your going to run E cutouts, then you can at least adjust them as you drive to get the best sound, but the standard (I've got to go under the car and take them off) will be crappy for the street. Its really bad sounding at all throttle speeds except full throttle. Matter of fact I drove my car with just my X pipe hooked up to my longtubes, until my mufflers came in, which was basically like driving with cutouts open, and it was hell, I couldn't even give it any amount of gas without it being way to much noise. The cats by the way work better when they are closer because they get hotter, this is why the government doesn't like anybody moving them, because it can change how well they work. Of course having the cutouts first might fit better under the drivers side, or maybe worse. I would take a look at your Y pipe to see what position would work best, the cats will take up alot of space, but they are better positioned behind the frame brace that goes horizontal, which leaves about 6 inches or so for a cutout in front of them.
Far as perfomance goes I didn't see much difference between open cutouts vs through the mufflers. In fact it was just under a tenth average with them open vs closed. I originally ran without cats, after I installed them, my times with cutouts closed running through same mufflers stayed the same. So my conclusion is that the cats I was running (carsound) flowed very well and didn't have much difference on performance, although they did quiet the sound down just ever so slightly. I think my biggest complaint would be the vibration and rattling of cutouts placed right behind the header collectors, it really opens up the flow, but ideally its not to great for open blasts on the street-too loud to much vibratio/noise/smell. Where my current cutout is (right in the space on I pipe under back seat) still creates unwanted rattles and vibration, which is absolutely ok, if it doesn't bother you, but I am always worried about those rattles loosening everthing up on a permanent basis, which might happen with cutouts right after headers. Theres nothing worse than having a bunch of squeeks and rattles while you drive, and the open cutouts might contribute to them depending on where you place them.

Last edited by d james; 03-10-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I understand, I'm always getting upset when I hear squeaks and I have lots of them right now because I just had a lot of body work done and have yet to take the interior stuff apart and put it back together correctly. I didn't realize that the open cutouts were that bad. Even with E cutouts closed do you still get a lot of rattle and vibration? Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Launching!

if you keep the cutout closed you won't get any vibration or rattles, only when they are open, if you crack it open half way or so, you can keep the vibrations down, but open all the way its there, even if you have just one under the passenger rear seat-at least mine gets them when its open. IF the cutout starts leaking from bad seals, or needing new gasket, it won't vibrate/rattle, but it will be louder just a little bit.