Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header collector leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header collector leak

Hey guys and gals. Well, my car sounds like ****. Luckily, I know why. It seems that the stainless steel clamps that I am using to connect my header collector to the rest of my exhaust system just aren't cutting it. I have two very large exhaust leaks, one on each collector.

The car sounds horrible!

I dont want to weld flanges to the headers so I am looking for an easy solution to this problem. I was thinking of using thermo-wrap or aluminum tape to wrap the merge between the collector and the exhuast system, then placing the clamps over the wrap or tape. How does this sound to you guys? Do you think it will work? If you have any other ideas please let me know. Just keep in mind that I do not want to take my car to an exhuast shop for welding. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to do that same method with aluminum tape from Home Depot with good success on a set of FLP headers I had several years back. Now I've switched to the clamps from NAPA, they are clamps that are 3"-4" wide and work quite well. Whose headers are you running?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback. I am running QTP's. They are great headers, it's that darn Summit X-pipe that always seems to be causing me trouble.

I was so desperate to make my car sound good again that I almost put duct tape on there. Tought about it twice though, don't want my car to catch on fire or something. Good to know the aluminum tape works.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aluminum tape will 'burn' in the first time you run the car; it has to melt off some of the adhesive. Just don't freak out, it will smoke.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem with my ORY & headers. Used some good ol aluminum foil and wraped band clamps around them and it did the trick
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. Viper. trust me, i would have freaked out. "i knew this would happen..ah!"

^^^aluminum foil. i'm tempted to try that! i think I'm going to go with the aluminum tape though. thanks though.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Viper
The aluminum tape will 'burn' in the first time you run the car; it has to melt off some of the adhesive. Just don't freak out, it will smoke.
USE ALCAN Aluminum Foil...best on the market..I did..fixed the problem....I cut 3" x 2' of foil and wrapped..

Quick Reply: Header collector leak